The Sewing Place

Butterick 5889

b15erk

Butterick 5889
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »
I bought this off a FB seller, and really liked it for my hols.

However, I haven't yet finished it, and it may stay that way, as there are a couple of things I really don't like about this.

First, it comes up huge!!  I did a medium after reading PR, and it's still large (I'm 42 bust usually).

Then there are all these bindings....  I had to do contrast because I didn't have enough fabric, but I have to say, those hem bands are horrid.  It says to interface, which I did, but the interfacing - soft as it is, makes it stick out like a marquee.  The neck band I made wider, as it looked unbalanced with the front band, but still not fond.

I think, if I'm short of a project, I may rip the bands and facings off and replace them, because a) they are not a good colour contrast, and b) the hem facings hang very badly.

What do you lot think?

Jessie

eta: apart from that, it's a nice make  :S

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

Re: Butterick 5889
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 09:31:48 AM »
It looks as though it's meant to be loose and floaty - if the neck and shoulders fit the rest is surely OK.

I see what you mean about the hem bands.  If you can get them off without damaging the main fabric a plain hem like you've done on the sleeves will probably hang much better.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.