The Sewing Place

Fortunately/unfortunately

fajita

Fortunately/unfortunately
« on: March 05, 2017, 13:56:11 PM »
Unfirtunately, My hallway curtains are now 6" short after a 20 minute cool wash.   :(

Fortunately, there is a doubled 6 1/2 " hem on them.

Unfortunately, lazy me had machine sewed the hem.

Fortunately, it's Sunday afternoon and I have time free ( if I ignore the Internetz) to unpick.

:snip:

Vegegrow

Re: Fortunately/unfortunately
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 14:02:52 PM »
I never wash curtains now... learnt my lesson... if I have to I usually end up remaking ..... I hoover them to remove dust or dry clean... in fact I usually make another pair  especially if I've been to Immanuels and picked up a few bargains
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

fajita

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 14:08:03 PM »
I didn't even consider dry cleaning these. They charge by the sq metre, and these are floor to ceiling, two drops per curtain buggers.

Cheaper to buy new.   

Catllar

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 16:02:16 PM »
That's an enormous shrinkage, missus!  I once decided to wash my dupion  watermarked curtains. They washed without shrinkage - hooray, but all the "watermark" pattern washed off and they lost their sheen. Lesson learned!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 16:22:39 PM »
Oh dear. Well at least there was a silver lining. A silver curtain lining that is. Lucky you had that extra length.

I usually try to avoid washing curtains but dry cleaning is very expensive.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

fajita

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 21:15:36 PM »
They are both re-hemmed  now to suitable length. Bit of a lighter coloured 6" stripe along the bottom, but nobody else will notice that, and the are only drawn closed when all visitors have left the building.

Used up my sewing time today though.