The Sewing Place

Problems with Singer 513

MistyRose

Re: Problems with Singer 513
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2017, 22:13:12 PM »
By the split screw you mean the part the other pieces are threaded onto?   Does this piece inside it work with the machine off?
I've got rid of the fluff and dirt but the three discs seem to be suffering from some corrosion is there any hope for them! 

arrow

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2017, 07:47:01 AM »
Yes, the part the other pieces are thraeded on to; a screw-, stud-, boltlike thing, the outer part is threaded. It works independantly of the electricity. It's a relatively simple mechanism and the only action it has is a couple of metal parts connecting  the presser bar lever to the mentioned split screw behind the faceplate. It pushes in a small metal bit, moving inside the split screw; it again pushes the tension disks appart. It should be visible from behind the face plate.

Polish up the disks with metal polish or use fine steel wool on them. If it's literally rust they are steel and should stand up to it. They usually clean up fine. If they are aluminium be more careful, but aluminium doesn't rust so I guess they are not. I have used waxy polish and ended up washing them in hot soapy water after; I suddenly worried they might be too shiny and slippery for the thread. I remember I had all the shiny metal parts in hot water with machine dishwashing powder (a 201 I had was a bit grimy). I was more careful with the painted parts, dial with numbers.

MistyRose

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2017, 01:33:51 AM »
I have cleaned the discs with Brasso wadding as best I could and the shiny part is now smoother.
They are actually steel.   
With the help of a cocktail stick I managed to ease out the pin but will the pin normally move without the whole assembly being attached.

arrow

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
The pin should move freely back and forth. The trouble is usually it falls out when someone has taken off the whole assembly and it's small enough to fall inbetween floorboards and similar. Some times it can be stuck. All parts should be clean and no oil. In your case it's likely some parts not correctly in place, the tiny pin doesn't move all the way back as it should. As mentioned, in odd cases it has turned out to be too short or to long, and it has been replaced by a wrong type at some point. Trouble shooting can be a bit cumbersome at times but if anything is wrong it should be detectable.

MistyRose

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2017, 00:36:36 AM »
I have wiped the pin, there was oil on one end.   It is 32mm long and the flat end was at the machine end I guess this is right.

arrow

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »
..hmmm...

I think the flat end goes the other way, and might be why the pin doesn't push out the tension disks. The parts in the picture is aligned correctly.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:36:30 AM by arrow »

MistyRose

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 01:04:44 AM »
Had a brainwave this afternoon!!!   Tried the pin both ways, the wedge shaped end wouldn't go in, too wide.   Will give the parts another wipe over then put them together and give them a try.

Saw a video today by Andy Tube on the 513 stylist, a newer version than mine I think.   He demonstrated the lever up and down on tension.

arrow

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 08:01:58 AM »
I suggest trusting your own observations on this. The first times I did this I kept looking for some kind of action that wasn't there. The release of the tension disks is only in connectin with the pin and the lift of the presser foot lever. The tension on the disks is set by the springs and other parts of the assembly.

The pressed end of the pin should slide in between the split in the screw; and stop at some point. It should be just long enough to reach the push in part behind the face plate. I guess this is the critical point of error that needs to be sorted out. If you are lucky, it was just inserted the wrong way around at some point (I'm just guessing from your description).