The Sewing Place

Problems with Singer 513

MistyRose

Re: Problems with Singer 513
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2017, 17:57:59 PM »
Thank you all for your help.   It's made me think.   
The one place I didn't oil is the tension parts.   I'm thinking now that I perhaps should have put the floss through as a piece of cotton which I did not do and will try next.  Apart from the cotton problem the machine sounds good.

arrow

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2017, 19:20:54 PM »
I have never oiled the tensioners, but I have been guilty of over oiling machines, especially old machines taken out of long term storage. When the  machine fold into the table or cabinet it lays stored front side down and excess oil easily dribbles into the tensioner.  I guess that's a common reason for sticky tensioners.

MistyRose

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2017, 21:01:37 PM »
Yes it is stored in a cabinet.
I've never used a cloth on it but what do you suggest soft cotton?

SkoutSews

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2017, 21:23:36 PM »
Tension discs are a type of brake. It's never a good idea to oil brakes  :o

MistyRose

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 18:11:19 PM »
I've been having a go every now and then (have been suffering from a horrble cold) and haven't really got any further.
Looking down between the discs I was wondering if, when it feels tight to pull it is touching the 'spindle' and when it's loose the discs aren't close enough causing it to be tight or loose on any number.   Whatever the cause it must be there somewhere.
Having checked and rechecked threading etc...

arrow

« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 22:04:35 PM »
The tensioner needs to come appart. I hope there's a tutorial for yours availavle and assembly lineup for the parts. Singer tensioners are usually very similar, but they are not all exactly the same. Some have a setting screw (grub screw?) on the outer nut part, others not.

You can do a bit of investigating behind the faceplate. When you lift the presser foot lever it should push on a tiny metal pin, the pin pushes the disks appart.

When you do this remember there is tension when the presser foot lever is down, and no tension when in up position. It's very basic, and I know you know it, but so easy to forget when we are trouble shooting.

MistyRose

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 22:48:50 PM »
I have seen videos of the tensioner being taken apart but none with the same metal part at the front.
I went to our local shop to get the felt pieces to stand the thread on and luckily the man who service machines was there.   I asked him about it and he said it sounds like a certain plastic piece inside is damaged/broken. 
None of the videos had a tiny screw on the metal knob like the 513.   At least I now know this is the one I undo. Also on the videos there was a pin that they said had to be placed in a certain place to get the tension right. I forgot to ask about this.   Is this anything to do with the pin you mention.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 22:50:56 PM by MistyRose »

arrow

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2017, 00:09:45 AM »
Is this the one you have? It's probably identical to a few other models and parts are usually available.

MistyRose

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2017, 00:18:45 AM »
Yes that is the same except for the piece of metal sticking out the left side and the the silvery white piece at the back.

arrow

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 00:27:30 AM »
I would not hesitate to take it appart, but note down the line up of parts, sometimes I have wondered if it went on this way or that way. Photo on your phone should be good enough.

arrow

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2017, 00:34:39 AM »
I found a picture of what you can expect when taking it appart on this page. I noticed a full assembly available on ebay, but since you are in the uk I would contact Helen Howes if anything turns out to be broken. The spring is the most likely part to need replacement.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 00:37:47 AM by arrow »

MistyRose

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2017, 00:58:14 AM »
Thanks for the picture, i was going to line the pieces up as I dismantle it and take picutures.   I shouldn't need to take off the last piece that is attached to the main body should I.   The man at the shop said he would try to get the piece for me.
Thanks for your help, I hope to have a go this weekend.

arrow

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 01:43:38 AM »
Having a local repair guy is the best of all. I have a couple, but I likely have to provide replacement parts myself, at least in some cases. If you are lucky it might only need cleaning and correct assembly. I had the whole thing off on my 201, the inner piece towards the body too. You don't really need to, but my beige 201 was very stained and grimy. It shined up almost like new.

MistyRose

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 00:46:13 AM »
Well, I've taken the tensioner apart.   Fortunately nothing appears to be broken but it is grimy.
There is a bit of oil on one bit but of course it has been laying down in cabinet, so now it's cleaning time.

arrow

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:28 AM »
Check the tiny metal bit inside the split screw. Sometimes it can be stuck by old grime and oil, and in more than one case I have heard it's too large or too small; in your case it's possibly replaced with one too long at some point? When you lift up the presser foot lever, it should visibly be pushed in and be relased when down. It could of course haver been reassembled wrong at some point too, which is not uncommon.