The Sewing Place

First garment made on my Bernina 730 Record

SingingSinger

First garment made on my Bernina 730 Record
« on: March 05, 2017, 20:14:20 PM »
I recently acquired a 1964 Bernina 730 Record which was in surprisingly good condition. I've had it serviced and had fun playing with the ornamental stitches. But I thought it was about time I actually made something with it. I settled on a Tilly and the Buttons Cleo dungaree dress in denim  :fabric: I'd bought the pattern before Christmas when I felt like making something quick which didn't need much fitting. Anyway, it's turned out well and the Bernina did a lovely top stitch  :thread: :D
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Swisslass

Re: First garment made on my Bernina 730 Record
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 21:47:03 PM »
I made a denim dress just before Xmas (bit of saga as I stupidly thought I could use a stretch pattern .... just don't, and it's not the first time) anyhow I thought it looked a bit dull until I decided that I'd nothing to lose by having a go with some of the embroidery stitches (I've got an 830), so I topstitched the seams with the the triangular stitch to give the dress a bit of detail, and i love it. It was tricky getting two seams to match (they sort of do but it not quite bang on) but I'm glad I had a play with them. I think some of the stitches are a bit dated but have a play and get them used.
I'd like to think I was inspired, but maybe sewing is just hard wired

SingingSinger

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 20:40:07 PM »
There's one of the stitches I really like - a kind of serpentine stitch that is wider one half then goes narrower. Not sure when I'll use it, but I do like it :)

This is the topstitiching I am proud of on my Cleo dress. It's not perfect by any means but the best I've ever done! 
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

arrow

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 20:05:30 PM »
I haven't used any of the more decorative stitches on my 730, mostly the decorative stitches and the buttonholer. It has the best satin stitch.

Spend a bit of time cleaning and oiling it; the top of the machine is hinged in the back and lifts up; the top of the freearm comes comes off too.

I have polished my Berninas with Auto Glym Super resin polish to protect it a bit (the liquid type that dries to a white film before its' buffed off). The finish on these is rather delicate, but staining from oil and grime usually cleans up perfectly.

Lyn-J

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 16:49:15 PM »
I love my Bernina 730 Record, I bought it new when I was a teenager. I've acquired many more machines since then, but that is the one I have a soft spot for. Singing Singer, I find it is very good for top stitching. If you are using heavyweight thread the use a very large needle, I use 120/19.

arrow

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 21:07:54 PM »
...I think some of the stitches are a bit dated but have a play and get them used.

They aren't really dated, but more the result of a cam stack with single layer cams, which limits the stitch pattern compared to models with double layer cams. Elna and a few German brands (Adler, Gritzner, Phoenix) had this feature in the 1950s, and with it came stretchy seams, over lock type stitches (single thread). Japanese brands caught up on this in the 60s (copied a Gritzner machine and gradually developed their own take on it). Bernina didn't have this feature until the 1980s, but they had the smoothest running, most well behaved machines compared to any, but the stitch selection is narrowed down to mostly utility stitches and a few decorative ones.

PollyWally

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 23:23:21 PM »
I thought of the vintage machine enthusiasts when I saw an old Bernina 740 (?) for $25 in a local charity shop. They had a couple of other sewing machines too which were  more expensive. I don't know if it worked but it had the original purchase booklet with it which included some samples which had been sewn on the machine. It is not often I see sewing machines in the charity shops, I think partly because they don't usually sell electrical items unless they have someone who can test them for electrical safety.