The Sewing Place

How about fringing?

Thecostumelady

How about fringing?
« on: September 08, 2017, 23:05:36 PM »
Bit of urgent help needed here please!  We have just done the chiffon cutting thing - now how about fringing?
I have a customer coming very shortly to collect a costume I have just done with two layers of fringing (one red, one black) creating a skirt from the hipline.  When she comes we will decide between us about the levels, i.e. both the same length or lower (behind) one to hang a bit longer than the other. Okay up to now.  Now although I haven't mentioned this to my customer, I have never actually used fringing before...bu why should I?  Piece of cake - isn't it?  Put costume on child and just trim to length.
Anyway, today I thought I would have a little go and trim a tiny bit off, just for practice you understand.
Wow, what a nightmare!!  If you think cutting chiffon is hard, dangly swingy fringe is well nigh impossible!  So - before she comes...Help!  How do you trim fringe in a straight line?  Especially with two layers - how do you cut the shorter (front) one without slicing through the longer (back) one?  HELP!!  Ann x

Heikedog

Re: How about fringing?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 00:05:48 AM »
Get someone who cuts hair to do it?   :P

Sorry ... that was in no way helpful.  It's been a l-o-o-o-n-n-n-g-g-g-g week at work!  TGIF!

Yellowfeather

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 07:31:18 AM »
The only way I have ever done it, is to get the person to stand on something and trim as they turn.  to do more than one layer, can you can tie some elastic around her hips and push the top layer up into it and cut the bottom layer.  But for cutting the top layer i think you will just have to go slowly and make sure you don't catch the bottom layer in the scissors! ;)

Daisy Jane

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »
I haven't had to cut fringing but I did see someone using see-through sticky tape (Blue Peter style :D) or brand name sellotape....lol,  across the fringe and then cut.
Lover of tutus and all things sparkly. ......and the odd glass of the red stuff.

CarolC

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 09:21:47 AM »
How to cut it? Carefully! I don't think it's ever totally straight. And it makes an awful mess of little bits on the floor.

I cut it the same way Yellowfeather does, but usually on the dressform. Basically it's like trimming hair, holding the scissors horizontally. So long as it is generally straight a few strands here and there won't make a difference. You can also trim off the loops on the table before you sew it on, but it might still need adjustment when it's hanging.

Just being picky, if it's a stretch costume, and it's non stretch fringe, you did cut the fringe to fit the person and stretched the outfit to the fringe, didn't you? I'm sure you did... ;)

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 11:12:30 AM »
I was going to suggest taping it with masking tape to hold it in place so that you can cut it level.  If you tape both sides you shouldn't have any loose strands.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Thecostumelady

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 13:46:25 PM »
Thanks so much for all the suggestions.  Spent a sleepless night wondering what the 'easy' way was. - there always is one but when you don't know what it is its very annoying!  Yes Carol I did buy the stretch fringe so attaching it wasn't a problem.  I think I am going to have to go with the Standing child on a chair and eyeballing it.  Trouble is the fringe refuses to stand still while it is being cut.  Good idea YF about tying one out of the way whilst cutting the other but I think I will use all my charms of persuasion to convince them it will look soooo.. much better with both colours the same length.  (not to mention so much easier to cut ;).  The taping method is a good idea and I too had seen it somewhere like Blue Peter.  Trouble is I don't know how long it needs to be cut till I get it on the girl.  I really want the length to be just clearing her buttocks. (This is for a 1920s style jazz tap number) Problem with doing it on the dress form is that it doesn't have any buttocks, large or small!  I have ordered one of those dress forms with the legs and it is due to arrive on Monday.  Trouble is my customer is due tomorrow (Sunday) :(  Hey ho..This is what I signed up for.  Thanks again for all the help.  Ann x

Catllar

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 21:16:14 PM »
I bought different length fringing for the set of dresses I made last year. Problem solved. I realise this doesn't help your current problem - sorry.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !