The Sewing Place

Useful thingies!

Thecostumelady

Useful thingies!
« on: September 12, 2017, 09:00:53 AM »
Whilst browsing the thread about cutting and hanging circular cut skirts I had a thought which may be useful to someone.
How do you hang it?  I use one of those circular plastic things with a hook on the top and multiple clothes pegs dangling below. I suppose it is for drying tights or underwear or some such over the bath.  It was only about a pound or something from the local 'cheap useful stuff' shop.  It is ideal for clipping the skirts to hang as you can hold them at various points along the waistline.  Its also very useful for hanging all my layers of net, pleated, numbered and in order, ready for attaching to the tutu.
Anybody else got totally sewing unrelated objects that are really useful in the sewing room?
Ann x

BrendaP

Re: Useful thingies!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 09:09:22 AM »
Yes what is it?

Sorry, I was typing in the wrong box!  but one of those sock drying thingies would hold the garment in a more natural shape than clipping to a coat hanger.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:22:24 AM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »
Good idea.
My favourite tool is a medical hemostat.  I have three in different sizes and they are the best thing I have found for turning collars or any corners.  Wish I had bought some years ago. 

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 13:49:00 PM »
My favourite tool is a medical hemostat.

Just in case anyone is wondering.  :D

fajita

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 16:00:11 PM »
Oh, I've got two of those, but with angled ends. Great for toy making.

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 21:34:26 PM »
When I inherited my aunts sewing equipment I found she used medical stitch cutters as stitch rippers, she had been a district nurse and a midwife for many years.

They are the best rippers ever, sharp,strong and good for getting into the tightest spots.

I have been carefully conserving her stash for years as I assumed I would never be able to replace them, then one day whilst browsing eBay I found a supplier and bought a dozen. That should be enough to see me out!