The Sewing Place

201 skipping stitches

Elnnina

Re: 201 skipping stitches
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 21:41:55 PM »
Hello Brenda,  I have just dug out my gimp, added to the information I gave this morning, also on the actual label it says it is  a cotton thread, and also has Article No. F199M.  On the tube that the gimp is wound, there is a little more information it is 200m, colour is white and then No.12  BLQ.

At the time I attended tailoring classes, the lady that taught us was well known locally and a local but very small haberdashery shop stocked the necessary items that were needed for tailoring, like shrunk duck, linen stay tape, this gimp and possibly anything else that we were likely to use during the course.  Of course this is many years ago, and I have no doubt that the teacher has now passed on as she was quite elderly at the time, and the shop again no longer like so many of the fabric and haberdashery shops.

I was taught how to sew bound buttonholes when I was still in school, and these were stitched on the old black singers that we had, and we had to count the number of stitches we did on each part of the buttonhole and they had to be same
 on each long side and each short side, one too many and it had to be undone.

Now many, many years later with our lovely modern machines I love stitching corded buttonholes,  makes for a lovely neat buttonhole, and I use Perle embroidery thread mostly white and No.5, but I make sure that I close the stitches right up and regardless of the actual  colour of the sewing thread used the white perle thread does not show through at all.

I must admit I have often looked for this Glace Gimp when out shopping but have never seen it, so my precious gimp is used very sparingly.  Possibly somewhere like Empress Mills may do something like this, but I have never bought anything from them.

BrendaP

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 23:25:33 PM »
Elnnina, it won't be the same because of the polyester core, but the Bedford threads from William Gee might be similar.
http://www.williamgee.co.uk/product-category/sewing-threads/buttonholes/
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 12:28:25 PM »
We have sort of had a round of this before I think, the entire thead of posts. I used to have Gimp on my computers, a photo editing software for Ubuntu. I had no idea it meant anyting in the direction of thread.

I'm no longer sure which way the subject went, but the buttonholes turned out nice BrendaP? I don't think we can do corded buttonholes with the old attachments, I'm not entirely sure, but with a nice thread and twice around it gives a raised effect, some times three times around works too. 

b15erk

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 12:45:22 PM »
The Singer buttonholers make beautiful corded buttonholes, as does my Pfaff (although not as beautifully!)

One or two of my buttonholers even does a bound buttonhole, although I haven't tried that.

If my machine doesn't make good buttonholes I would rather use snaps, nothing worse than a poor buttonhole.  I sound like a real buttonhole snob don't I !  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »
but the buttonholes turned out nice BrendaP?

The samples started to tangle as soon as it started on the second pass around so I didn't tempt fate and just did a single pass.  They just disappear into the fabric so not noticeable though if you look closely they are quite good.

I'll post a pic this evening, but off to art group now for a bit of quiet - the builders have been drilling into concrete all morning  :ninja: 
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

arrow

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 13:04:05 PM »
Poor you Brenda, I know that one too well. Way too much building and underground work in my area the last few years, and I'm hoping for hault the next. The term Urban development should in some cases be classifined as a profanity. They kept on working through saturdays and sundays, all the easter holidasy, hardly a Norwegian speaking worker there at all. It turned out to be illegalt, too high noise levels after work ours. For some reason we could hear the machines after 12 at night sometimes. I hope it's not as bad, and limited to what's within reason. County inspectors and police had to straighten things out here. People live here, a lot of offices and a few shops, in the long run we need some peace.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 13:12:02 PM by arrow »

BrendaP

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 21:26:56 PM »
It's our own builder - we're converting the garage to a  bigger kitchen and a "something" room - maybe it will end up having a sewing machine or two in it!  :P  They had finished for the day when I got home at about 4:30pm, and they have the weekends off.

Here is the jacket and the buttonholes - as I said they sort of disappear into the fabric which is maybe not a bad thing!