The Sewing Place

Kai scissors

Efemera

Kai scissors
« on: September 17, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »
Anyone got a pair of Kai scissors?... any opinions?

fajita

Re: Kai scissors
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 10:45:00 AM »
Sorry, never heard it f them.
I have known both a dog and a child named Kai though. (Irrelevant? So it is).

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 11:16:32 AM »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

fajita

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:54:02 AM »
They do look smart.
Are you getting some?

MrsThrifty

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »
I own a pair of Kai pinking shears, which are a delight to use compared to the Mundial ones they replaced. I like that they're quite lightweight, not as heavy as some other makers. MIL has a small pair of the serrated scissors for thread trimming and patchwork and likes those as well. I've never owned a pair of the regular Kai scissors but have borrowed some while at college and found the offset handles to be nice for ergonomic cutting, but sometimes felt a bit big around the thumb? That could just be me not being familiar with them, though, because my pinking shears feel fine.

SkoutSews

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 12:39:02 PM »
I have a small pair of Kai scissors. They were one of those Internet purchases that aren't what you're expecting when they arrive! I thought I was buying a pair of embroidery scissors, but in fact they turned out to be bigger with about 6 cm blades. However they are very good scissors, sharp and accurate, cutting cleanly along the whole length of the blade. They're a useful size too, which is fortunate.
If and when I buy a new pair of cutting-out scissors, I'd go for them.

Bowerbird

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 12:45:53 PM »
I have 2 pairs- 1230 that I bought at a local sewing shop, they're good, and a pair of 7250, the professional series, that I ordered from the US. Including postage they were cheaper than buying locally. I love them, they're like a hot knife through butter, they cut effortlessly through anything.

Surest1tch

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
I have a pair of the tailoring scissors, they are far superior to Fiscars and seem to hold their edge well, they are also light but have enough weight to control them, I'll never go back to Fiscars. 
I do have a pair of Shozaburo tailoring scissors which were bought for me when I started my apprenticeship, they are incredible but very heavy.  I can't be certain but I think the people that make Shozaburo make the Kai scissors, I'm sure I read that somewhere!  In any event I know they are made in Japan where some of the finest blades in the world are made.