The Sewing Place

Butterick 6185

b15erk

Butterick 6185
« on: March 06, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
Well, in an effort to be match ready for the sew along, I dug out this pattern.  I'd made my adjustments before Christmas, around about the time the mojo went missing.

I'm not a great fan of wovens, so I'm doing 2 toiles, one in a cotton, the other in a heavy-ish lycra.

Both are cut out, but the lycra is the one further on - Sunday was a no-sew as I had family round ( ><).

Several points have already arisen from my alterations.

I made no allowance for negative ease for the lycra, so I found myself massive seams.  Then, the collar needed adjustment, and I found that a double collar would be far too heavy on this lycra, so I had to bodge it.

The length was also a problem for me, and I added 3".

I'm anticipating different set of problems with the woven, for a start, I managed to cut the back on the fold!! Derrrr!

Anyone else made this?  I know Fran made this last year I think.

Jessie

Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Catllar

Re: Butterick 6185
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
Are you doing the whole wardrobe?
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 10:19:19 AM »
No, just the top.  I may do trousers to match, but not the ones on that pattern.

It's been interesting to do the woven and the lycra from the same pattern, it explains a lot about negative ease  ><

Atm, the lycra looks very, well, yellow....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
I've sewn the top!

I added length also but I also did an FBA.

It's pretty comfy, but I can't say I wear it much as it's not very flattering on me.

I do plan to one day draft it out to a dress length and add some belt loops so I can "waist" it.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 16:04:42 PM »
I love it .. I'm a sucker for stripes..

Catllar

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 18:58:58 PM »

Atm, the lycra looks very, well, yellow....

Jessie
Yeah, yellow will do that!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »
But this my dear Cat is very yellow!

Look.

Jessie

Vegegrow

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 11:12:11 AM »
But this my dear Cat is very yellow!

Look.

Jessie
But wasn't the fabric Yellow when you bought it Jessie?
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

b15erk

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 14:26:44 PM »
You are right Veg, it really was yellow....  I bought it to line a yellow (well it would be wouldn't it!) lace top, there were only a couple of metres on the roll and I paid just a few pounds for it, so thought it would be useful as a toile.  Tbh, it's very good quality, pity it's so, well, yellow......:))

0_0
Jessie

Fabric Lover

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 13:54:16 PM »
Hi Jessie
Love this pattern! Could you remake the collar in a different fabric? White would be nice. And maybe add a few buttons to match the collar. That would tone down the yellow.
Stitching in Staffordshire with Style! (Well hopefully anyway)

dolcevita

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2017, 14:32:35 PM »
I think yellow is a lovely colour.  Be brave and wear it as is, Jessie.