The Sewing Place

Notions, Interfacings, etc. In UK

Sewbee

Notions, Interfacings, etc. In UK
« on: September 18, 2017, 13:14:46 PM »
I was just looking at Jaycotts web site after googling for "notions UK". I can't believe how expensive sewing supplies are here. Where is the best place to buy interfacings and notions?

I am seriously considering trying to find a place in the Azusa that will shop in bulk to the UK. Interfacings, for one, are so much cheaper there.

maliw

Re: Notions, Interfacings, etc. In UK
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 14:13:23 PM »
Be careful importing from elsewhere as you may end up paying quite a lot in tax. Look for what you want - the exact thing - I often use Amazon or ebay and you often find a list of suppliers, many with free postage. I've bought machine needles, rotary cutter blades etc this way, it just takes time  but can save money. Happy hunting.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Surest1tch

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 19:09:13 PM »
Be careful importing from elsewhere as you may end up paying quite a lot in tax. Look for what you want - the exact thing - I often use Amazon or ebay and you often find a list of suppliers, many with free postage. I've bought machine needles, rotary cutter blades etc this way, it just takes time  but can save money. Happy hunting.

I look in exactly the same places too.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 21:43:44 PM »
Others have mentioned Empress Mills https://www.empressmills.co.uk/ and I saved the link because the site looks good.  I haven't yet tried them myself, though.

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 21:53:33 PM »
Thank you all! I never thought of looking on Amazon for fabric but I even found some Art Gallery ones there. Since I haven't sewn in years and now have a new machine I thought I'd start with some easy knit tops which I need and will most likely gave to do an FBA for.

Minerva Crafts is great for supplies, it seems!

maliw

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 15:15:22 PM »
If you want fabric try this
https://www.thetextilecentre.co.uk/
I've had several lots form them, good prices and delivery and I know other people like them too. There are loads of places for fabric, I don't look on Amazon for that but notions yes, as a starter.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »
Just found Sew Hot  stock Pellon 905F, Shir-tailor for collars and cuffs.  It has good reviews for men's shirt collars, but it is difficult to buy in the UK,  so I've ordered some. Won't be posted until Monday so can't comment on delivery yet.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Morgan

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 16:56:42 PM »
For decent quality interfacings you cannot beat the English Couture Interfacings.

I adore the silky couture light and the fubsible fine cotton.  I use both a lot.
Also the medium stretch is great as are the shirt interfacings and both the traditional and speed tailoring products.

Oh and this instant stitch hem tape is a winner.  It can be used in different ways.

Scroll down for videos to show how to apply these things properly.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 20:10:31 PM »
How crisp a collar do you get with the shirt canvas?  Will the steam press give a good result with it?

Morgan

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 22:09:34 PM »
How crisp a collar do you get with the shirt canvas?  Will the steam press give a good result with it?

The shirt canvas is quite firm and makes crisp collars and cuffs.  (Make sure you do the pre-shrink process before doing the permanent fixing.)
I store it rolled around a couple of rolls of kitchen roll at home so that it doesn't take on any creases from being folded.
Try a sample with the shirt pack fusibles.  The fine cotton fusible is a dream for the placket.

The non-fusible sew-in collar and cuff canvas is nice too.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 17:47:00 PM »
Thanks for that, I'm going to try their shirt starter pack.  Also the hemming tape, I think it will be useful for jackets.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 10:00:46 AM »
Well Sew Hot ordered on 7th,  English Couture late on 8th, both said Order Complete last night and both arrived this morning 10th.  Can't fault either for service then, now to test out the interfacings. (Just have to finish this shirt I've started, but it will be slow, it is meant for a surprise, so can't go full out in case I'm spotted.)