The Sewing Place

Ruler feet and quilting rulers

BlueCat

Ruler feet and quilting rulers
« on: September 19, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »
I would like to try using quilting rulers (with the special ruler foot) to progress from straight lines (and gentle curves) in my quilts.  Does anyone have any experience with these?

I know Westalee do the foot and rulers, and Janome (my machine) does a conversion foot (as part of a set). Silesian also sell the foot separately, and although it is a better price than the others, I don't know what the quality would be like.

My preference would be for the see-through ruler foot, but a price of around £45 seems quite expensive, especially when adding on the price of the special rulers....a basic set of 2 basic rulers with the cheaper metal foot cost about £100!

Any advice, anyone?

rubywishes

Re: Ruler feet and quilting rulers
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:51 PM »
I bought the Westalee Ruler foot and Bernina adaptor foot to use with my series 7 Bernina. I bought a straight ruler (came with the ruler foot) and a set of circle rulers.  I watched the you tubes and emailed Westalee several times with questions. I found the people at Westalee terrific...very prompt in answering my queries and gave full explanations. So, as a company to deal with my personal experience has been very positive.  Now using the rulers is a different thing......I thought I would be able to adapt to them quite quickly but I found myself to be very clumsy and awkward with them. I am sure if I could dedicate a little bit of time each day to practising with them I would become more proficient but at the moment they have gone away in a drawer.

I have since purchased a Juki 2010 and unfortunately the Ruler foot I have bought for the Bernina is the wrong shank measurement to use with the Juki. I cannot justify purchasing a second ruler foot for the Juki, my enthusiasm and bank balance doesn't run that high.

I guess what I am saying is that I have found Westalee a reputable company to deal with but the learning curve required for me to become adept at their use is just a little steep for me at the moment. This being said I am sure there is a time in the future where I will devote the time required to learn to use them but this will require me to put the Juki aside and return to the 710 which I am reluctant to do! I love my new Juki!!!!! <3
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:35:37 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 13:24:59 PM »
Have a look at Cotton Patch.  They do Westalee and have loads of starter sets and information and do ruler feet to fit most machines.  Have a read of their e book on ruler quilting.
Life's too short for ironing.

maliw

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 15:22:09 PM »
I mentioned this a while ago, here is the thread and the answers may help you
http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,892.0.html
I haven't done anything about it since. -<
At leisure on the leisure penninsula