The Sewing Place

Woo hoo....I did fmq daisies!!

rubywishes

Woo hoo....I did fmq daisies!!
« on: September 19, 2017, 12:53:01 PM »
My experience thus far with fmq has been limited to a frantic meandering pattern very similar in appearance to the result you get when dipping a blow flys' feet into ink, then spraying him with fly spray and letting him loose to stagger around in a chaotic stupor. Got it?

Well, I put the fm foot on the Juki for the first time 2 days ago, armed myself with a gazillion practice sandwiches, steeled my resolve and set forth to see what I could manage with the new machine.
Day 1: I'm at staggering blowfly level with no improvement at the end of the day. And my garbage bin is now stuffed to the brim with my sad and sorry bounty...thank goodness it's rubbish night tomorrow night!!
Day 2: I'm scouring the internet for information, advice, and ooooo what's this...a tasty new recipe for stone ground flour....woops, focus here....back to defeating the blow fly staggers.....day 2 evening after tea (Mr.Ruby is fast asleep in the chair and the tellie is not inspiring) and my blowfly staggers are still there.
Day 3: I'm munching over breakfast thinking about the stuff I've read on the internet...okay....armed with a coffee and a brave disregard for the housework waiting to be done I head back to the Juki. I do 3 things: I crank my presser foot pressure completely off, I change my needle to a whacking big number 14, and I decide to not trace any lines to try and follow. Perhaps going "freehand" will be better...you know, not worrying about "going off the lines and trying to correct" and then, like a visitation from the gods above I got.....daisies...lots of lovely daisies...not perfect mind you, but good enough to put on a quilt and keep me smiling!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 12:56:08 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

fajita

Re: Woo hoo....I did fmq daisies!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:57:06 PM »
Super duper you little trooper.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 13:21:51 PM »
Well done, there will be no stopping you now.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 14:01:27 PM »
Gorgeous!  One day I, too, will try this... but for now I'll just admire yours.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 14:44:28 PM »
Lovely work, rubywishes  :)

I've never tried FMQ, and I don't have the correct machine foot to try it...(They're expensive to buy and it's said to be quite tricky to master, so it's putting me off.)

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 15:24:17 PM »
Well done for sticking at it Ruby!

I had a go at it a few years back, and it felt as if I was banging my head against a brick wall.  Then I spotted a tiny little note in the Pfaff manual, the presser foot has a half down setting for FMQ.....

It worked after that.  Not well, and I don't use it often, but the fact that I can do it was a BIG thing.

Yours looks perfect in comparison.  I love your daisies.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 21:11:23 PM »
Lovely daisies  :flower: :flower: :flower:

FMQ is really down to practice, practice and yet more practice.  I'm still only half quarter way there all I can do is squiggles or sqiggles and loops.

Has anyone seen the new 'Sew Today' magazine with free motion daisies down the front of a dress?
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sheilago

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 23:30:09 PM »
Love flowers - and leaves! They're my fmq favourites as you can get away with quite a lot of imperfection, since nature is imperfect too! Yours look great.

rubywishes

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2017, 02:55:54 AM »
Lovely work, rubywishes  :)

I've never tried FMQ, and I don't have the correct machine foot to try it...(They're expensive to buy and it's said to be quite tricky to master, so it's putting me off.)

Sandra.
xxx

Crikey Sandra, if I can do it anyone can!! It really is as they say....committing to practicing a little every day. I'm pretty time poor so only spend about 30 minutes each day but can already see improvement which spurs my determination to keep at it....just a few minutes each day.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2017, 07:03:15 AM »
Marvellous Ruby, marvellous ... Could there be hope for me ???

(considers carefully)  ... Nah!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2017, 19:14:19 PM »
Could there be hope for me ??? (considers carefully)  ... Nah!!!

Has someone given you a numpty hat? ;)

Kad

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 20:00:44 PM »
Iminei, if you don't feel inclined to try the daisies, I've just finished a French Braid quilt with a Jigsaw puzzle pattern. I divided the sandwich into a 6"ish grid with the safety pins and then sewed a straight ish line with a loopy bit around each pin as I encountered them, the loops don't have to be symmetrical or even and the lines don't have to be straight. It's quick and easy and best of all looks good. Will post a photo when we get home next week sometime.
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Roger

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2017, 23:31:36 PM »
They are lovely little daisies! Well done for persevering!

Fmq is on my wish list of things to learn...
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »
FMQ is the work of  :devil: in my opinion..... why would you???
Slap with a  :fish: for anyone in  "can't do" "numpty" headgear Iminei  :P
Triumph of hope over experience :D