The Sewing Place

Brother CV3550 double cover stitch machine

Bodgeitandscarper

Brother CV3550 double cover stitch machine
« on: September 19, 2017, 20:15:35 PM »
It's new and I've just ordered one!  It does an overlocking stitch on both sides, can't wait to play with it!

Ohsewsimple

Re: Brother CV3550 double cover stitch machine
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 19:09:57 PM »
Looks interesting.   I have seen some samples of what the two new machines do and first impression is good.  will be interested to hear what you think.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 19:59:12 PM »
I had the expected email today to say it's not actually in stock yet, they expect it "later September".  :(

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 13:57:05 PM »
The launch for dealers was only last Thursday so not surprising.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 16:51:17 PM »
It arrived last Wednesday, but only got time to unpack and try it today, and it's going back  :(

It's just so fiddly to thread, didn't like some of the thread I used, and I think the top cover stitch bit looks a bit "Heath Robinson" and it takes such a pull to get the fabric off, it'll never work with stretch fabrics.
I don't think it's me being not very good with it, I've used overlockers and normal coverstitchers with no problem, but this I'd just not bother getting out to use.  Very disappointing.  :(

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 21:42:22 PM »
Oh dear.  Such a shame.  As you,ve used coverstitch machines I assume you know you can't just pull the threads out as usual?   Of course you do and I will apologise up front.  :)
I have to say, I've never used a Brother overlocker I've liked yet!   And even the rep couldn't get one to work to my satisfaction. 

sleepraptor

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 13:16:38 PM »
Has anyone else used this machine?  I got it for Christmas and have been in a love/hate relationship with it since.  There have been quite a few times it's been close to being thrown out the window...

I find threading it quite easy actually, much easier than an overlocker.  To do the top cover stitch it's slightly more of a faff but not too bad.  Agree with Bodgeit that the pulling off is ridiculous.  I have actually found a work around now (I pull the needle threads towards me first with an awl and then pull to the back) but it's annoying to have to do a work around. 

It seems unable to start sewing a seam properly.  It often misses the first few stitches and then pretty much always gets stuck no matter what I do.  I have to stop, pull out the fabric a bit and keep trying.  It means when it finally starts to sew the first few stitches they're all stuck together.  I have been using it on stretch fabrics to do hems and also top-stitching (upside down) seams on activewear.  It can't sew over seams without getting stuck even if I use the handcrank. 

No matter how many variations of tensions I try I can't get it to sew a hem which covers the fabric edge i.e. with the needles threads straddling the edge.  Also with certain fabrics it can't hem at all without some sort of stabilising.  I've been using wash-away tape as obviously with knits I don't want to use something that doesn't stretch.

It's very frustrating and I just wondered if anyone else has had any luck with it.

Efemera

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 14:40:16 PM »
I’d thought about this machine ....I guess I’ll just stick to the Janome.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 17:32:21 PM »
I'm glad it wasn't just me that didn't like it!  I did join a facebook group when I (very briefly) had mine, but left it.  I wonder how others are doing on that group...

Marniesews

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 15:11:34 PM »
Coverstitchers do seem to be the prima donnas of machines & even my Bernina L220 which is so well behaved with all my dance fabrics has a slightly odd removal technique although I've got it down to a quick & easy trick with the aid of an old button hook.  ;)

I would strongly recommend the Bernina/Juki twin for stretch fabrics.  Sadly no longer available from Bernina as it was a Juki made machine replaced by a cheaper spec Bernette made by Jaguar, however, Juki relaunched it under their brand as the MCS-1500 and it's no exaggeration to say it's taking the world by storm. They're going mad for it in the US although they often have to drive several hours for a dealer.

I don't like to criticise Janome directly as I know they are beloved by so many and I've not had one myself but I'd really recommend looking through reviews by owners on forums & facebook groups such as Facebook Coverstich/Coverlock before purchase. They win hands down on paper but experience in use is another matter. I think it's fair to say they require a big learning curve so much so that owners have created detailled reference lists for different fabric settings. The 200cpx seems to be less finicky.  You'll find many have been replaced by Juki or Babylock (if money is no object).
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Nuttywife59

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 23:15:16 PM »
Well I finally got around  to making the top I bought the material for to try out my 3550 coverstitch. Must admit it all went very smoothly and very pleased with how it turned out. When I first had it I found d it very difficult to remove the material when I finished stitching  but I found a tiny crochet hook in my sewing cabinet which fits under the foot and I can use to pull the needle threads out to the front to cut which releases every thing nicely. 

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 09:15:43 AM »
Pleased to hear you've got on ok with yours.  I couldn't get it to release the thread tension even when pulling the threads to the front and cutting, tried all sorts of things, nothing released the tension, so sent it back. :(

Nuttywife59

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 09:22:59 AM »
It's taken me since I had it to finally manage to do it.  Whether it's me getting the hang of it or machine has eased off a bit I'm not sure.  I was mean yesterday and sat my daughter down in front of it and got her to use bias tape attachment to fold some tape in half to make handle for a bag she wanted to keep her pony's bridle in to keep clean. She had to overlock all sides afterwards as she wanted itrather than her watch me she did it herself.