The Sewing Place

Finished a Sweater

Ploshkin

Finished a Sweater
« on: September 20, 2017, 14:02:13 PM »
This is a follow up to my previous thread 'Starting a Sweater' posted when TSP was in its infancy.  Yes, it has taken me 6 months.  I'm not really such a slow knitter but I don't really knit much through the summer so it had got as far as needing the sleeves then got put down again until recently.
Although I've been knitting since the age of 4 this is a first for me - first time using cable to knit in the round, first time doing magic loop, first time knitting a sweater entirely in the round and first time knitting any garment top down.  I'm really pleased with the way it has turned out and I like the fact that you can try it on as you go and of course that there is no sewing up, just 6 ends to sew in.
I've given it a cool hand wash and gentle steam to even up the stitches - when I started there were some wibbly stitches where the loops of the cable split the round but I got better at tensioning the yarn as I went along.  I can still see the line but hopefully no one will be looking that closely at me to notice it or if they are I hope it is someone who knows me very well. 

I think another time I would not have the break points down the centre front and centre back but put them where they would notice less.  I feel a bit daft to say that I have only just discovered stitch markers.  I knew that they existed but have not previously found the need to use them.  I can see them being very useful in knitting of this kind.

The pattern is a Drops Design one and the yarn is Drops Cotton Merino which is lovely to knit with and very soft - I can wear it against my skin and there's not many fibres I can say that about.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

Re: Finished a Sweater
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 14:17:55 PM »
That's lovely - beautiful even stitches too.   :*

I'm the same with knitting.  I always have some on the go, but have great periods of time - especially in the summer - when I don't do any.  I'm in the middle of a black jumper at the moment, which is Aran weight, but I am knitting a very small size in a double knit pattern.  I hadn't realised how tiring it would be knitting in black - you really cannot see any details of the stitches unless the lighting is really good.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 15:30:18 PM »
Plosh, that's lovely!  A favourite colour of mine too.

Although the knitting season has begun, I can't see that I'll be doing anything for me anytime soon.  :S

What pattern was it?  Just in case I'm tempted....  ;)

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 16:07:28 PM »
Jessie, it's Drops Design 175/1  I put a link to it in the 'Starting a Sweater' thread
Life's too short for ironing.