The Sewing Place

It’s All About Shirts voting thread

Manuela

It’s All About Shirts voting thread
« on: February 07, 2020, 00:19:23 AM »
#1 Ann's Entry

Lori's Lacy Blouse with Machine Embroidery was a test pattern for a doll pattern designer. The machine embroidery was a big challenge as two of the files would not work for us. I spent several days in January trying to help the designer but to no avail. In the end I used the lace design which worked.

The machine embroidery is done using sewing thread and a fine needle which may be why there were problems with some of the files. The blouse is made from quilting cotton and was an easy test pattern. The print was chosen to give the blouse a Victorian look once the lace was added.

The blouse pattern was done like most other blouse patterns. The front which has the button placket on it was serged, turned back 1/4" and the placket topped stiched down. The button placket was added like other blouse patterns. The neck is finished with bias tape and the collar is zig zag stitched down. It works fine for this blouse though I do know of people who do this on their clothing. 

This blouse was time consuming as I spent a lot of time testing the embroidery. The blouse was easy to sew though I did finish all the seams and puzzled over instructions. Part of being a pattern tester.

#2 SewRuthieSew' Entry

I wasn't sure to start with if I were going to enter, then several things came together.
- choir were having social event
- Prima magazine arrived and had a shirt dress pattern in it
- I came across some fabric I had bought with musical notes on it.

End result was a musical shirt!

Here's the finished shirt, looks at a distance like it might be a paisley or floral design.

But get up close and you can see the musical notes.

I'm pleased with the collar and silver stylised rose buttons.

Here's the cuff. I cut it extra wide and put 2 buttonholes in the cuff, then folded it back and used only one button through both buttonholes (sort of gives a cufflink effect).

Here's the pattern from March 2020 Prima Magazine. I measured a RTW shirt and cut a curved hem.

I am thrilled with my shirt and its perfect for the event.

#3 B15erk’s (aka Jessie) entry

OK, here's my entry.  It's Vogue 1387 by Rebecca Taylor.  I just loved the look of style B, and thought I'd found the perfect fabric in the stash.  It's a poly cotton (I think), but the only description on the lable, said 'burnout'.

It should have been a fairly straightforward sew, but as usual, I made a meal of it.

1. The front band/collar stand intersection caused me trouble, as the seams needed to lay in a particular way to go under the front band, and the collar stand.  It took quite a bit of manipulation and hand sewing to finish it neatly.

2. The gathering at the back.  I knew right away that I didn't want this, so I pleated it, and I like it far better.  If I did it again, I would take some fullness out before pleating though - there's a lot of fabric there.  I also did a fabric loop to finish off, and I do like how it's turned out.

3. Sleeve placket drove me distracted, and the more I thought about it, the more I was sure I was going to get it wrong - although I've done them many times with no problems.  They turned out OK, trouble is, I don't think they suit the shirt, and if I did it again, I wouldn't do that style.

Finally, I ordered white ring snaps, but even after what I thought was careful ordering, they were smaller than the tool I use for fixing.  So I used the metal ones, and not sure they work.  I think the top snap is too high, and seems to make the bust pull a bit.

I have lovely fabric lined up to make a second one, but not really sure I want the hassle.

Jessie

#4 fabric lovers 1st entry

I’ve finished my shirt too, initially my second choice fabric as I think it’s a bit drab on me which is why I have it on with a yellow camisole underneath. I love how it feels though and has a truly beautiful drape. It’s Simplicity 8830 https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/94086
I shortened it quite a lot about 9 cms but I think maybe I wish I’d left the front a tad longer. For the next one I’ll go one size smaller. I also cut out the pocket flaps and epaulets but as the fabric is so busy I decided to leave them off this time.

#5 Starryfish’s 1st entry

My first shirt is finished.
It is Ottobre 18-5-16. I made it pretty much as the instructions say, except I added an inner yoke using the burrito method. I didn't put pockets on it, as I didn't have enough fabric to match them.The pattern repeat is big on this fabric, and I only bought 1.5m. As I managed to get the fronts to match exactly I didn't want to spoil the look.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Pleased with how the cuffs sit.

#6 Indigotiger's entry

what I made: Black/grey gingham flannel shirt

pattern used: My TNT personal bias front bodice pattern

about the project: I wanted to make a warm cotton flannel winter shirt, using a length of heavy work-weight gingham flannel. My TNT pattern has 3/4 length sleeves and a cuff binding, but here I wanted shirt length sleeves, with real buttoned cuffs and a traditional tower placket. both of which would require me to do some additional drafting and a number of additional steps in construction.

When I tried laying out the pattern pieces, it was obvious that there was not quite enough of the flannel, so I had to find some other fabric to use as an accent. I had a piece of black/grey polkadot quilt cotton which I decided to use for the inner cuffs and inner placket, the yoke lining, the undercollar, and the binding for the collar seam. I am very pleased with how the accent fabric adds a subtle embellishment to the shirt. This was my very first time making a tower placket; I used this excellent tutorial from Pam Erny, and was delighted at how it turned out. I will definitely make some more cuffed shirts in the future!
This is my flannel shirt, as worn with my black corduroy pinafore and a pair of grey knit loose leggings
The collar and neckline of the shirt, showing two different sides of the polkadot fabric (yoke facing, and bias binding along collar shirt seam), bias and straight-of-grain use of the gingham flannel.
The successful tower placket, both closed (above), and open (below)...again showing how I used the polkadot fabric to line the cuff and also to create the inner placket.

#7 fabric lover’s 2nd entry

Pattern used - Simplicity 8830
Fabric used- Atelier Brunette viscose, this fabric feels so lovely and doesn’t crease as much as viscoses I’ve used in the past. I think it’s called Moonstone green. 

I didn’t really have any issues with the pattern, it’s the second time I’ve made it so felt quite straightforward.

Also last weekend I just attended a Shirt Making class at Sewisfaction my local fabric store to make a Closet Case Kalle which was very timely! (The shirt I made there is still waiting for buttons and buttonholes which I won’t have time to do before the contest closes.)

I’m pleased with the way this shirt has turned out, it will go well with my RTW dark green jeans.

#8 toileandtrouble’s entry

Pattern is Simplicity 9816

And I've made it. Sewing on the buttons now. 

Fabric is a remnant of unknown composition. Feels soft and warm like silk but tried a burn test, also a close up under a microscope and am no wiser. Doesn't quite match up to anything. Perhaps it's a mixture, but it feels very good to wear.

Had to enlarge the pattern and then do an FBA, also lower the dart a couple of cms.  Decided to make the cuff deeper and put a curve on the edge.
Very difficult to sew. Although it has texture and snags on my rough fingers, it is also very light and floated up and behind where I was sewing.  Putting on the collar meant a lot of un-catching and re-sewing.
We have lost our haberdashery shop, now only have buttons in the cheap department store and charity shops.  I'm not thrilled with the heart shape but the colour is fine. I didn't have enough of the right sort in my stash unfortunately. Might change them when I get something better.

Photos soon. now. My new tablet makes it easier to take and send pictures but still can't get a decent picture of me wearing it.

#9 Starryfish's 2nd Entry

Pattern- Style Arc Marley- no alterations apart from an FBA. This is the third time I have made this patter It is a boxy short shirt with no buttoned cuffs , just wide slits to the hem and cuffs. It is an easy sew.

The fabric is a fine cotton in a thin blue stripe just right for summer.

I often wear one of the previous versions open with a tank top underneath, and probably do the same with this one.

ETA- sorry, no idea why the images are upside down! I think they are clear enough any way.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:30:05 AM by Manuela »

Manuela

Re: It’s All About Shirts voting thread
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 01:40:30 AM »
Voting has started  :D

toileandtrouble

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 05:14:02 AM »
Sorry @ Manuela, No 8 is me, not Bodgie. ( was that the rose at work?)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 05:42:55 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Manuela

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 10:27:12 AM »
Sorry @ Manuela, No 8 is me, not Bodgie. ( was that the rose at work?)
Oops, sorry

Greybird

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2020, 11:28:20 AM »
I have voted - it doesn't get any easier does it!

snoozi soozi

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2020, 11:47:02 AM »
I've voted, so difficult  :facepalm:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 13:14:03 PM »
They're all technically excellent. I've voted for the ones I'd like to wear, couldn't choose otherwise.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 13:36:27 PM »
Another difficult choice!  I have voted on which I percieve to be the technically most difficult, but it's a close thing.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 13:48:34 PM »
Almost impossible to choose, but I've voted. :loveit:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

sewingj

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 14:15:32 PM »
I think this is the hardest to judge so far.  They are all really impressive

Sewingforfun

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 10:40:08 AM »
Please may I vote for them all??
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

Fiona M

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 11:55:51 AM »
Always difficult to choose, but this time it was almost impossible, they're all fabulous!