The Sewing Place

Machine recommendations.

Mama likes to make

Re: Machine recommendations.
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 10:49:21 AM »
It's the regular 664 I think.  I have used the rolled hem now that I think of it to make some christmas decorations and it was fine. My little girl is quite slim and I find leggings very hard to get for her so I make a lot of them. It is so easy to thread that I never bother with any of the tricks like knotting and pulling the threads through I just do it from scratch each time.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Ploshkin

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 20:31:53 PM »
I've also got the Elna 664.  It's my first overlocker so can't compare it with anything else.  It was recommended by the very little sewing machine shop in the nearby town.  The owner is an old man who really knows machines.  I have found it easy to thread and have never had any problems with it and it stitches really nicely.   I've used it on all sorts of fabrics from cotton lawn to thick fleece and have not even needed to change the tension.  I've also done rolled hems with it.
Life's too short for ironing.

sew_fi

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2017, 13:20:23 PM »
Well after much deliberation, I've taken the plunge and bought a Brother 3034d!

Having spent ages reading about it and also thanks to the replies on here, I'd eventually managed to narrow it down to similar models made by Brother, Elna, Bernina and Janome, then found that there's a Brother dealer close to me and also there was an ex-demo 3034d for sale, with blind hem foot and instructional DVD included, for £209. It looks pristine and still has the full 3 year warranty, so I've gone for it.

In an unexpected turn of events, rather than be bored to death by my incessant talk about overlockers/sewing machines/sewing in general, my boyfriend has actually started showing a real interest in it! He likes the idea of being able to make his own cycling kit as the good quality stuff seems to cost a lot of money for what it is. I couldn't ever have imagined him being interested in sewing, but perhaps there's hope for turning him yet!

Maximum

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2017, 15:14:45 PM »
Well done - ex demo machines are usually good buys as they have had minimal use and any factory problems will have been sorted. The boyfriend sounds a keeper - nurture and encourage his interest!!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2017, 15:32:50 PM »
Congratulations on your new machine - have fun, and be prepared to spend a little time just playing with it.
I keep meaning to make some cycling kit for myself - but there's a distinct lack of jersey patterns out there, especially for the, errr, more cuddly lady!

sew_fi

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2017, 17:20:11 PM »
Congratulations on your new machine - have fun, and be prepared to spend a little time just playing with it.
I keep meaning to make some cycling kit for myself - but there's a distinct lack of jersey patterns out there, especially for the, errr, more cuddly lady!

Thanks. I'll see if any of the local charity shops have got any stretchy garments that I can cut up and practice on, as Maximum suggested before.

And you may have identified a market niche there with the shortage of those patterns  ;)

Marniesews

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 19:05:55 PM »
The Brother 4234D was my first overlocker and it's a very good machine at a budget price, I wouldn't go down to the 1034d unless it was essential for budget reasons because it doesn't have a 2-thread converter so a number of stitches can't be done on that machine. The 4234D can do it all and has been wonderfully unfussy and, even as a newbie, I found it easy to thread. The build quality isn't as good as Juki, it's true, and it's noisy so I actually upgraded to a Juki MO1000 when my generous hubby suggested it because he kept getting woken up in the night  :( with my late night overlocking!  :)

Despite all that I still think the Brother 4234D is a good little machine as proved by the fact that I still have mine. It lives at my daughter's house and is my backup.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Morgan

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 21:52:38 PM »
. . . boyfriend has actually started showing a real interest . . . to make his own cycling kit as the good quality stuff seems to cost a lot of money for what it is. . . .
Take a look at Melissa Fehr's activewear patterns for cycling - she also shares some useful sources for fabric and other necessary bits and pieces
http://blog.fehrtrade.com

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 17:53:10 PM »
I'm pleased you have found your machine but just want to add my bit in support of the Brother 1034D. I make dance costumes - a lot in lycra and a lot of frills for flamenco dresses.  Last year for example I made over 100 dresses all with donut frills so lots of overlocking.

I've had my Brother for 12 years now and she has never let me down and only recently did I have to change the knives. Oiled it is quiet, no oil, it clanks. Doesn't have a slow speed but then I don't do slow - when you've got all the kilometres of frills to gather/ overlock or roll hem then faster is better. I believe the modern 1034D's are less reliable and after reading the poor reviews on the current machines, I don't think I'd buy another one, but I love my old lady - I also have a janome as well but the Brother is the machine of choice for  what I need to do. I've posted this in case she reads these posts and gets offended I haven't defended her honour!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

sew_fi

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 13:26:31 PM »
This is encouraging. I've been trawling local charity shops looking for garments made from stretchy material to practice on, but so far haven't found any.

Where do you buy your lycra from? I've found a few places online but it all seems quite expensive.

Sewbee

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2017, 13:33:32 PM »
Congratulations on getting your new machine! I think an overlocker opens up a whole new world.

Since I recently bought a new sewing machine I am going to use that by itself for a while but will eventually get an overlocker. That's the plan but it could change tomorrow! ;)

I have got overlockers narrowed down to three - Juki mo654de, Juki mo734de or a Bernina 1150mda. I might have a problem finding the last two because they've been discontinued but a dealer might have one - maybe!

toileandtrouble

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 18:33:44 PM »
This is encouraging. I've been trawling local charity shops looking for garments made from stretchy material to practice on, but so far haven't found any.

Where do you buy your lycra from? I've found a few places online but it all seems quite expensive.
Don't forget you can also use it on knits. Great for reducing oversize jumpers.  Also, overlock the ends of pieces of wovens before you prewash them, it avoids all the shredding.  You are going to love that machine.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Marniesews

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2017, 21:33:56 PM »

You can get pretty cheap lycra from Showtime Fabrics  and Tia Knight. It's not what you'd choose for a competition dress but it's ideal for practicing and making dresses that can be worn for lessons & shows and enjoyed.

Tia has some very cheap sale prices but the lycra can be very thin so not always the easiest to sew with. Aim for a 190gsm minimum.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.