The Sewing Place

Inspiration Needed

Lowena

Inspiration Needed
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
Yo! I have been given a jelly roll for my birthday. Apart from 8 plain strips ( 2 each of pink, cream, brown and moss green ) the rest are highly patterned in the same colours ( big and small ) It is Moda "Roses and Chocolates" ( or Chocolate and Roses ) and I don't know what pattern to do or what would need adding to it. I usually ( numpty hat at the ready ) shy away from "busy " fabrics, but want to be more adventurous.
Any / all suggestions welcome
Also, where do you get your ideas for patterns from? books, mags,Pinterest,FB your clever brain????
I feel I want to break free ( now I'll have that song in my head all day )
I have been making for coming up 5 years and don't seem to have progressed beyond "safe " patterns and fabrics ( it's easy to rely on batiks )
Any help appreciated  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

Re: Inspiration Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:34:09 AM »
Have you googled 'Jelly Roll quilt patterns'?  There are hundreds of them out there.  Pam and Nicky Lintott from The Quilt Room are queens of the jelly roll but their patterns are all in books, no free ones.  With JRs it's generally quite easy to work out the construction from a picture without needing a pattern. 
You have already discovered there are a lot of similar colours / designs and usually not much contrast so you might want a background fabric.
Life's too short for ironing.

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »
Yes Ploshy, I have been Googling for the last 2 days. I also have 3 of the Lintott's books but none of what I've seen have seemed suitable for this busy roll and I wouldn't know what is appropriate to add to it  :|
Please put your thinking caps on........it's help a numpty Saturday doncha know  :D

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:44:07 AM »
I often browse this site for inspiration.  I haven't made anything from their patterns, but my next project is probably going to use their Attic Treasures pattern.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
Two of the best quilting websites are:
http://www.judymartin.com/index.cfm
and
http://www.quiltville.com/index.html

Take note Low, they both go for the scrappy look in a lot of the designs.  That means not throwing away your potential stash each time you finish something. :snip: :snip: :snip:

Get yourself half a dozen or so storage boxes with lids.  Functional plastic or decorative wicker or whatever which when stacked they don't look like clutter.  Have one for each colour group and just pop your leftovers inside the appropriate one, then after two or three quilts you will have enough to make a proper scrappy quilt.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lowena

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 14:54:51 PM »
Oh my days Brenda! Don't know if I could cope with all those small scraps  :o
Thanks girls, I have looked at all 3 sites...... food for thought  :)
Anyone got a favourite jelly roll quilt.... not just strips?

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 15:18:03 PM »
I dont use jelly rolls, charm packs or layer cakes either .... until I did a sneaky secret workshop last November!

I needed a charm pack or layer cake for the pattern and chose the less expensive option. It was just an exercise for me and a fun day but I was very pleased with the results .......

Which of course became  March's BOM .... so you have the pattern right there!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 15:32:54 PM »
Is it jelly roll friendly, that's all I've got Imi?

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2017, 15:40:45 PM »
What about braids -they're still strips but a bit different and you could separate them with something a bit contrasty.
(Is one of your Lintott books 'Jelly Roll Quilts'?  There's a braid quilt in there with all the instructions.  It might suit your rather similar tone fabrics as the design doesn't require any particular element to stand out.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2017, 15:41:16 PM »
Yes I think it is, as you cut the charm pack  to make strips ....

Two 2 1/2" squares
One 5 x 1" strip
Two 1 1/2" squares
Add four 2 1/2" squares of your background fabric and you're ready to sew...

And the September BOM is (and very easy) with the addition of a  small amount of background fabric.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 15:46:48 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

supergran

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 16:52:10 PM »
Have you looked at Missouri Star Quilt Co Lowena? They've got hundreds of free patterns for all pre cuts. You'll likely need some background fabric of course, but I'm sure you could find something you like on the site.

maliw

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 17:34:14 PM »
Have a look here
https://www.favequilts.com/
Click on jelly rolls at the left hand side.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

rubywishes

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2017, 12:24:56 PM »
Ooo, gifted a jelly roll....lucky you. I was given a batik jelly roll the other day from someone who won it as a door prize and nonchalantly said to me "don't like batiks...would never use them" as she handed it to me! gasp! gasp!
Yep, have a look at Missourri Star Quilt Company, their free tutes have some effective and simple quilts.

Lowie, this is a pattern I am going to do with my batik jelly roll...I found it in an old quilting magazine in an Op shop...would be happy to send you the pattern if you're interested.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:30:15 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!