The Sewing Place

Which hook size?

sewmuchmore

Which hook size?
« on: September 23, 2017, 18:56:32 PM »
I have recently started crocheting and a bit confused about hook sizes. Patterns advice doing a test piece for tension/size etc and then advice to change hook size if the test piece is not what it should be. But how do you know to go up or down a size?
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

MistyRose

Re: Which hook size?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 19:30:33 PM »
If your test piece is smaller than should be you need a larger hook and vice versa.
I find I knit tight but not when doing crochet.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 21:14:40 PM »
It's the same as with knitting; if you have more stitches per inch/per 10cm or whatever, than the pattern says then those stitches are too small and you need to go up a size or two.  If you have less stitches per inch/per 10cm then the stitches are too big and you need to use a smaller hook.

If you are just doing practice pieces and getting the feel of it then the yarn/thread should sit comfortably in the hook.  If the hook is too small it will end up splitting the yarn, if it's too big it will be difficult to push the hook through the previous stitches.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 18:46:11 PM »
Thank you for the advice.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet