The Sewing Place

Portable Machine for Class

Sewbee

Portable Machine for Class
« on: September 25, 2017, 19:01:11 PM »
I am going to sign up for quilting classes but my Bernina 570qe is a bit heavy, so I thought I'd buy a lightweight machine that has the basics on it and easy to carry. Initially, I thought it would be good to have a Bernina so I could share feet on both machines but that won't work. I was looking at a used Bernina 350PE but it takes different feet and so does the 215. As a result, I think I have to look outside if Bernina. What would you suggest for a portable machine to take to class?

Maximum

Re: Portable Machine for Class
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 20:32:06 PM »
I know your dilemma!! I have a Bernina which I love but refuse to lug up and down stairs and into the car. It's heavy but I'm more worried about it getting knocked or damaged ( they're not cheap).
I bought a fairly basic Janome which was fine but after the Bernina it just wasn't the same - advantage was I really didn't care if it was bounced about. I eventually found an Elna Lotus - quality engineering like the Bernina and really portable - no 1/4" foot so I used electrical tape.

LeilaMay

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 20:34:46 PM »
Are you looking for modern or vintage? I'm thinking a nice Singer Featherweight from the 1950's  :)

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 20:43:35 PM »
Are you looking for modern or vintage? I'm thinking a nice Singer Featherweight from the 1950's  :)

Modern ;)

As much as I love the look of the old ones, that's where it stops.  8)

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 20:45:40 PM »
I know your dilemma!! I have a Bernina which I love but refuse to lug up and down stairs and into the car. It's heavy but I'm more worried about it getting knocked or damaged ( they're not cheap).
I bought a fairly basic Janome which was fine but after the Bernina it just wasn't the same - advantage was I really didn't care if it was bounced about. I eventually found an Elna Lotus - quality engineering like the Bernina and really portable - no 1/4" foot so I used electrical tape.

That's what I was afraid of with Brother and Janome, having used a Bernina for over 30 years - nothing could compare. I never thought about Elna - never even tried one but I will now have a look and see what I can find.

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 21:20:31 PM »
What about oneof the small non-electronic Juki machines?
https://jukiuk.com/
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

supergran

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 21:35:06 PM »
Sewbee, if the machine is for a quilting class, the 350PE should come with everything you need. Mine had the quarter inch foot, free motion foot and the new walking foot with the extra soles, as well as the more usual ones like zip and open toe embroidery one. Check the second hand one includes them.
I wouldn't call it lightweight though, but perhaps not so heavy as the 570.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 21:37:16 PM by supergran »

Sewbee

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 21:59:01 PM »
Sewbee, if the machine is for a quilting class, the 350PE should come with everything you need. Mine had the quarter inch foot, free motion foot and the new walking foot with the extra soles, as well as the more usual ones like zip and open toe embroidery one. Check the second hand one includes them.
I wouldn't call it lightweight though, but perhaps not so heavy as the 570.

Originally, I thought about that machine and thought it would be a cost-saver to share feet with the 570 but it takes different feet and I don't think it makes sense to have to pay a small fortune for feet for TWO machines since one is only for classes. Being able to share feet would have made the higher outlay for a 350 worth it. However, I don't know what feet it comes with so I need to check that. Also I thought it might be a bit heavy. I've been looking all over for the weight of the 350 and can't find it but I seem to remember that it isn't that much lighter than the 570.

I really am torn because I love the quality of the stitch of Berninas and I am not sure I would be satisfied with anything else.

This is also making me examine exactly what I would use the machine for - just for classes or as a second machine for normal sewing, since now I am learning to quilt, its possible I could have both a quilt and a garment on the go at the same time.

This is doing my head in lol!

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 22:05:54 PM »
What about oneof the small non-electronic Juki machines?
https://jukiuk.com/

They have some nice little machines. What made me not even consider a Juki in the beginning is that a dealer told me (when I was looking at machines prior to buying a Bernina 570qe) that although Juki are very good they still have a long way to go in the domestic sewing machine market. I should have inquired about what he meant by that. Maybe I need to reconsider.

I am beginning to realise I am a bit wary of going to a brand I have either never used (Juki, Elna) or used before (Singer, Viking) and wasn't perfectly happy. When I got my first Bernina I realised I was in heaven!

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 22:15:48 PM »

I saw some nice Elna machines on the Internet. I didn't realise they were Swiss. For some reason I thought they were a Japanese. I have never used one, though. They used to be a lot more popular than I think they are now, I think. I also read somewhere on my Internet travels that Janome makes for Elna.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 00:46:45 AM »
I think Bernina and Juki are under the same umbrella in the same way that Elna and Janome are.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbee

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 14:49:11 PM »
I think Bernina and Juki are under the same umbrella in the same way that Elna and Janome are.

I know Juki used to make sergers for Bernina but now it is Jaguar who makes the two new models introduced recently.

arrow

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 17:52:01 PM »
If you can get buy with a straight stitch model you should not be afraid of a vintage portable; some of them are very nice. Depending upon the weight you are willing to accept when juggeling the ratio between portability and capability there might not be than many model worth going for. The term vintage is a vague term, and some of the Berninas in the old 700 and 800 numbers are portable and really quite modern machines up to the standard of a light weight computerised machine (in many cases better). The simplest models are top quality, smaller and less featuers makes them lighter. Elna's new Lotus is one of the nicer models in this group.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 19:15:40 PM by arrow »

Maximum

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 18:29:58 PM »
I should have made myself clear - the Elna Lotus I bought was an old one which was Swiss made and cost me very little. I believe they have a new version with the same name but that is all.
I have old Singers which are wonderful but I wouldn't give house room to a new plastic Singer.
You need to tryout an alternative to your Bernina, maybe borrow or hire? Once you become a Bernina convert it is difficult to work with anything else and it's also difficult to explain why they are so different. Does your Bernina have a padded carry case and could you feasibly get it in and out of the car? To buy a modern machine just for classes seems a lot of money.

Sewbee

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 20:28:49 PM »
I should have made myself clear - the Elna Lotus I bought was an old one which was Swiss made and cost me very little. I believe they have a new version with the same name but that is all.
I have old Singers which are wonderful but I wouldn't give house room to a new plastic Singer.
You need to tryout an alternative to your Bernina, maybe borrow or hire? Once you become a Bernina convert it is difficult to work with anything else and it's also difficult to explain why they are so different. Does your Bernina have a padded carry case and could you feasibly get it in and out of the car? To buy a modern machine just for classes seems a lot of money.

It's so hard to match Bernina quality - but I still haven't tried out Elna and Juki!

Yes, I am swithering about the cost because I always buy quality items. I am rather sure if I buy a £200 machine it won't make me happy. Maybe, though, I'd be in for a big surprise. I don't know. This is why I started thinking of it as a portable, "second" machine that I could also use at home. I am still going around and around with this, though. Maybe a £200 machine is all I need and will do just fine. As soon as I get higher than that I start to think "used Bernina". I know where I can buy a good 3/4 size Bernina that's had little use but I am still thinking about it because that's a fair bit more. Also it takes different feet from my 570.

I've heard good things about the Janome Jem machines but haven't tried a Janome at all.

With the laminate floor going down next week and the painter painting the room AND buying sewing room furniture (granted it will probably be from IKEA)  AND lighting, it's a lot of money but we'll see.

I can certainly lift up my 570 and it came with a soft case but I am a bit concerned taking it to classes because who knows how far away I would have to park. I couldn't carry it a long way. I also don't want to impair its computer. I know how finicky they can be.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 20:37:37 PM by Sewbee »