The Sewing Place

Portable Machine for Class

SkoutSews

Re: Portable Machine for Class
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 20:50:48 PM »
There's a Bernina 1008 on Gumtree, in Craigleith, Edinburgh. Worth a look?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/arts-crafts/bernina-1008-sewing-machine/1266703221

arrow

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 21:14:27 PM »
Isn't the 1008 on the heavy side? The older Berninas came with a full set of accessories, and unless you need something special it should be fully equipped. The even feed foot is nice to have, and the only thing I sometimes have thought about bying extra. A way about it is to buy a low shank converter for the Bernina presser bar, and any basic feet should be compatible.

What type of classes is it for? A lot of the lightweights can't handle top stitch thread, and extra strength. They act up with anything within sew-all weight range, and it can even be recommended not to adjust the bobbin tension. Some cannot quilt through layers of batting if it's patch work related. With portables and less expensive models it's important to narrow down the featurs and requirements needed, because what we think of as a basic function might not be there.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 21:31:20 PM by arrow »

Sewbee

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 22:56:17 PM »
Yes, that looks a nice 1008 but it is 22 lbs!

I just happened to come across this and the Janome Jem looks decent and at a very reasonable price. I just need to keep in mind it's main purpose - lightweight to take to class with reasonable features.

=1]http://sewing-machine-ratings.com/Portable-Sewing-Machines.html?types[0]=1

That's an American site but the UK price is £270+
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 22:58:50 PM by Sewbee »

SkoutSews

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 23:04:11 PM »
Sorry, didn't have a clue about the weight! Just saw Bernina in Edinburgh and posted.
Hope you find something suitable.

Sewbee

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 23:52:00 PM »
Sorry, didn't have a clue about the weight! Just saw Bernina in Edinburgh and posted.
Hope you find something suitable.

I really appreciate it. I would take it in a heartbeat if not for the weight.

Sewingsue

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 07:11:09 AM »
As a side issue, check the weight of a trolley if you think of going down that route.
I bought one for my QE440 (not that I would regularly take it to classes, but for specific 'how to do X on your machine' ones)
Would definitely protect the machine, but fairly heavy empty and too heavy for me to lift in and out of the car with the machine in it.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.