The Sewing Place

A bit more FMQ

Ploshkin

A bit more FMQ
« on: September 26, 2017, 14:43:12 PM »
After making a reasonable stab at the sandwich of the month  stippling and inspired by Ruby's perseverence I've been having another dabble at FMQ.  On the first bit I learned that you really need to have a bit of a plan before you start as I was struggling to know what to do or where to go but .... I got absolutely no 'eyelashes' on the back this time so I guess my hand / speed coordination was a bit better.
The second bit I stuck to one design and am quite pleased with how it looks (if you squint).  Top RH corner is where I started and I think it gets a bit better as it goes on.  I managed to cover the whole bit reasonably evenly without getting stuck anywhere.  (Actually, the back looks quite good because the bobbin thread was cream so the actual stitches aren't jumping out at you, just the shapes) I also found that I got much better at stopping and starting.   
I'm finding that my stitches tend to go a bit small on the curves - is there an optimum stitch length to aim for though I won't be measuring them  8)
Life's too short for ironing.

Sewbee

Re: A bit more FMQ
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 14:46:17 PM »
I like them both, although I think you can see the flowers more easily in the bottom image. I admire this effort. I hope I will be able to do this fairly soon - but I am a complete beginner so I have to try to be patient!

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 15:00:26 PM »
Very nice, but am I tempted??  -<...........Nope - FMQ is still the work of  :devil: in my opinion  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

twopence

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 16:33:06 PM »
They both look good, Plosh.  It makes me realise that I behind on these blocks.  I'm still catching up on the original ones so haven't started the new ones yet.  Onwards and upwards though.

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 17:03:09 PM »
Blimey Plosh, that's lovely ... you are obvs a natural !!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

maliw

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 17:30:27 PM »
I like the bottom photo well done you, I've been trying for ages to do FMQ, stippling is fine but everything else is rubbish.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

rubywishes

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 21:09:18 PM »
Very pretty Plosh and blooming well done!
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!