The Sewing Place

Complicated Stars

Lowena

Complicated Stars
« on: September 26, 2017, 17:36:21 PM »
I am doing a Lintott inspired Jelly Roll quilt. The stars are quite subtle and b***dy complicated. I keep getting my "A"s and "B"s mixed up ( even after laying them out correctly ) :| or sewing the wrong seam  :angry: I lose track of my dark and lights ( especially if they are the other way round from theirs )  :devil: all in all........I'll need a  :toast: or several tonight. It has taken me all afternoon to do one b***dy block!! My seam ripper is red hot and running out of bobbin thread ( without noticing ) was the final straw!
However...I am enjoying myself immensely and thought I'd share the first 2 blocks with you ( unsashed  ;) )
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 17:38:57 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

Re: Complicated Stars
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 18:18:26 PM »
Looking good Low.  My first venture into piecing was a jelly roll sampler quilt from their website.  I really enjoyed it and was hooked.   I fell at the next hurdle which was of course 'quilt as desired'.  That's why it's rolled up in the cupboard but now I have a bit of quilting under my belt it is destined to come out one day and get quilted.  Perhaps I should save it for a fmq attempt.

What will be the finished size of your quilt?
Life's too short for ironing.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 18:53:36 PM »
Oh Low you've really got you big girls pants on.

They are fab.  Looking forward to seeing some more.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 19:08:33 PM »
Thank you girls
I'm channelling my inner Bridget Jones, Ella  :D I like doing stars , but these really stretch my limits  -<
52" x 64" if I remember correctly Ploshy. I just do big stitch hand quilting ( good for disguising the odd rogue, not quite matching join  ;) )
It's going to rain tomorrow so I'll be able to crack on with it  :ninja:
P.S. the pieces do meet, but I wanted to share so  they haven't been pressed yet  :|
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 19:10:14 PM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 22:26:53 PM »
Oh Low you've really got you big girls pants on.

Indeed you have 0_0

Really what this says is that you are enjoying the challenge because you want to make those stars.  If you didn't want to do them you'd be wearing your numpty green can't-do-it hat.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.