The Sewing Place

Help! Total newbie here!

washi

Help! Total newbie here!
« on: September 28, 2017, 01:12:06 AM »
Newbie at least to the art of sewing for ballet.  :| A friend has asked if I could make a headdress like the one in this YouTube video. I honestly don't know even where to begin other than mad googling which has yielded exactly nothing useful. I don't think I even know what to search properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szObH4AQTCw&feature=share

Any advice is much appreciated and welcome!

Yellowfeather

Re: Help! Total newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 13:32:04 PM »
Hi, welcome to the dance world!!  it looks like chiffon cut into a rectangle gathered and caught up in the centre for the hair, and elastic or ties along the arm section with finger loops at the gathered end of the rectangle.  Never made one before, so just a guess based on watching the video.  someone else on here may have made one before, with better advice.

Catllar

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 20:17:24 PM »
I agree, gathered rectangle attached with a comb or a clip thingy, the extensions closed up to about elbow level and finger loops. The only thing I'd add is to make sure you measure the length of the chiffon using a bent arm, not a straight one, then add another 10-15cms on each arm to get the fall. Looks lovely.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

washi

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 02:00:47 AM »
Thank you for your replies, Yellowfeather and Catllar! I should be able to manage that. Then we will see what else the mom comes up with! She is suggesting that I try a tutu next...