The Sewing Place

Stashless in Cornwall

Lowena

Stashless in Cornwall
« on: March 06, 2017, 13:26:54 PM »
I've nearly made it....... I have hardly any fabric left  :angel: A few leftovers from when I couldn't resist buying FQs, and a few surplus 5" squares from pre cuts and...... that's it  :angel:
I'm planning on using up these squares of fabric to make lavender sachets ( as I found a tin of lavender I'd forgotten about  :| ) and will try out Iminei's block of the month and other new blocks with the FQs ( even if they're not quite what I'd choose to go together  >:) )
I will now only buy fabric for specific projects ( in, hopefully, the right amounts  0_0)
If I go to Exeter Quilt Show I will buy some fabric for a quilt I'm to make for a friend.
My only gripe is...... I'm not the world's best cutter - outer and I wish, when you buy fabric, they would cut it into the 1/4m that they price it at.Instead, they sell multiples in the total length ordered. I find lots of fabric to manoeuvre, cumbersome and would love them to give me an option when I order.
Still.....here's to a tidy, minimalist sewing room..........onward and upward  :flower:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

Re: Stashless in Cornwall
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 13:35:33 PM »

Still.....here's to a tidy, minimalist sewing room..........onward and upward  :flower:
I can honestly say I will never have one of these :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :vintage: :vintage: :wool: :wool:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 13:38:03 PM »
I couldn't work in it if it weren't thus   :D
However........ no matter how hard I try, the floor is still littered with snipped thread ( and yes, I do have a thread catcher by the machine  :|)

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 13:38:35 PM »
I wish, when you buy fabric, they would cut it into the 1/4m that they price it at.Instead, they sell multiples in the total length ordered.

I am sure if you got in touch and asked them this (even the ebay sellers) that the majority of shops would be more than happy to supply them as FQ's !

Looking forward to your Bow-tie Block and how about making the mystery quilt for your friend?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 13:46:37 PM »
She has requested one like the one on my avatar.
However, I will be making the mystery quilt...and...I will catch up with the BOM for Feb and March  :angel: ( if I ever get off this computer  :D)

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 14:07:26 PM »
She has requested one like the one on my avatar

Good choice!

I particularly like the one you did with that chequered batik...

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 14:09:54 PM »
Thank you  :)
I don't really like repeating quilts, but, she specifically asked. I'll definitely be using batiks again too.
Fortunately it it quick and easy to make so it'll leave me time to do the Mystery Quilt and the BOMs  :angel:
 :flower:

Lantana

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 16:51:17 PM »
I can honestly say I will never have one of these :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :vintage: :vintage: :wool: :wool:

Nor me Vegegrow! You can never have enough fabric! As I mentioned on another thread I can't even throw away the odd scraps! Yes Lowena is in my mind when I find myself saving them .... I do know it's taking frugality too far! And I do wish I could be just a litte bit more like her ;)

L x

Lowena

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 17:51:08 PM »
Used up some more of the stash  ;)

Bigger picture if you click on it.
Just playing about really, but turned out not too badly... and...used up the end of the fleece for the backing  :angel:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 17:53:07 PM by Lowena »

Vegegrow

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 18:54:56 PM »
Lowena I do find you are influencing me.. I do throw more stuff away... today I was about to dispose of a 20cm  strip of navy with red polka dot jersey... I cut it off a RTW dress I'd bought and decided I would get much more use out of a top so I shortened it... piece went into useful offcuts box ....wore the top... it faded badly... I cut it up to make pattern for more tops.. (another post sometime) found the bit... know it will fade... went to put it in bin  then made 2 skirts for dolls like my avatar and put  the final 20cm by 15cm piece in the bin..... but the bin man doesn't come till Friday  waste not want not as my dear mother says.... :D :D :D
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

QuiltySisty

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 20:44:28 PM »

Haha, madness! You'd probably faint at the sight of my sewing room at the moment! Although I am having to work around the hall carpet and underlay that has been stashed in there while the hall, stairs and landing are replastered and decorated (plasterers finished today so the end is in sight!) so it's a little more cluttered than usual!

Catllar

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 21:30:44 PM »
Well done on the de-stash completion!  I do have  a stash but only of big pieces and no scraps  :snip:- I hate them - who can be bothered faffing around with odd offcuts and trimmings - not me for sure. I know we're all different, but before we came away on holiday I had a 130litre dustbin bag full of bits to dispose of. I'll do it when I get back - tomorrow!!!!!  I also have a room totally full of fabric but that all goes by end of May when I finish all the costumes, so then I have time to clean and sort.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lantana

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2017, 22:56:08 PM »
Lowena I do find you are influencing me.. I do throw more stuff away... today I was about to dispose of a 20cm  strip of navy with red polka dot jersey... I cut it off a RTW dress I'd bought and decided I would get much more use out of a top so I shortened it... piece went into useful offcuts box ....wore the top... it faded badly... I cut it up to make pattern for more tops.. (another post sometime) found the bit... know it will fade... went to put it in bin  then made 2 skirts for dolls like my avatar and put  the final 20cm by 15cm piece in the bin..... but the bin man doesn't come till Friday  waste not want not as my dear mother says.... :D :D :D

Oh I like your doll and that you were able to use the offcut .. see these scraps do come in useful :)

Part of my problem is that I can't decide where to throw the scraps (normal, recycling, textiles?) The other is fear of poverty and knowing that some wonderful quits were made in the old days by women who had very little and had to make do with whatever they'd got,

L X

Lantana

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2017, 23:02:34 PM »
Used up some more of the stash  ;)

Bigger picture if you click on it.
Just playing about really, but turned out not too badly... and...used up the end of the fleece for the backing  :angel:

Your end of declutter quilt is lovely Lowena.  Do you use the fleeces as a combined backing and wadding?

L X

rubywishes

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 05:33:56 AM »
it'll leave me time to do the Mystery Quilt and the BOMs  :angel:
 :flower:

Mystery quilt? huh??

Love your declutter quilt Lowie; really pretty.
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!