The Sewing Place

Liesl & co Cinema dress

Acorn

Re: Liesl & co Cinema dress
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 14:09:01 PM »
When you buy a pdf pattern they should supply you with a file called (something like) A0_pattern_file.pdf or something with 'large format' or 'copy shop' in the title (as well as the file for printing the pattern at home on A4, and possibly a third one with instructions).

Do make sure that the company supplies A0 files before placing an order.  I think most do, but I also suspect that Style Arc don't.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Sewbee

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2017, 08:37:08 AM »
When you buy a pdf pattern they should supply you with a file called (something like) A0_pattern_file.pdf or something with 'large format' or 'copy shop' in the title (as well as the file for printing the pattern at home on A4, and possibly a third one with instructions).

Do make sure that the company supplies A0 files before placing an order.  I think most do, but I also suspect that Style Arc don't.

I can't imagine how many A4 sheets - and how much ink - it would take to print a pattern at home - and then to have to tape it together. Add all that into the cost of the pattern itself. Not for me!

Ploshkin

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
and then to have to tape it together.
I will only use a pdf for a top because I really couldn't be bothered with dozens of A4 sheets but I don't tape them together.
I use a large sheet of tracing paper (I use Burda pattern paper) and trace each A4 sheet, marking the corners (there are usually registration marks) and line up the next sheet with the marks.  Not a piece of sellotape in sight and much easier to handle the pattern pieces.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 09:24:35 AM »
I can't imagine how many A4 sheets - and how much ink - it would take to print a pattern at home - and then to have to tape it together. Add all that into the cost of the pattern itself. Not for me!
Looking at random at two of my patterns for tops - one a simple tee-shirt and the other a long-sleeved blouse - the first takes 16 sheets, the second 26.  You can buy a ream of printer paper (500 sheets) for £4 (cheapest quality is fine) so that would cost less than 14p for the first, and less than 21p for the second.  They use very little ink as the sheets only have  a small number of lines on them, often in greyscale.

I can understand people not wanting to do the cutting and sticking (although personally I find it greatly preferable to dealing with tissue patterns) but the cost really isn't an issue if you already have a printer.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Kad

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 14:30:08 PM »
Realised that I'd forgotten to post photo of my completed dress - it's been through the washing machine and on the line twice already since completion so it must be a success  :D

The fabric is a fine wale cord with a bit of stretch and self colour embroidery akin to 'broiderie anglais' style so the resulting dress is really comfortable and cosy.

If I make it again , fancy it in a summer weight too, I'd add perhaps an inch to the upper body and 2" to the sleeves - as I said before the pattern is bereft of markings re waist/hips/bust - it's not too short but longer would be better. As for the sleeves, I didn't want to turn back the cuffs on this dress as the fabric is quite thick enough, but in a lighter weight fabric a turn-back would be nice and necessitate lengthening the sleeve.
I sewed the longer variant and surprisingly it's plenty long enough without any additional inches  even on me (mid calf length )
The pattern envelope states 4 yd fabric, I bought 3.7m and have enough left for a straight short skirt for DD.

Forgot to explain the other 2 photos - made using a 'free' pattern from a recent magazine in jersey fabric, the leafy one is a double jersey skirt with a suede-like  top layer ( feels lovely but a b***t to sew ) and the other was sourced on our recent hols from a shop in Worcester, 'Rags' I think, much easier to sew and quicker to dry too :D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 14:35:18 PM by Kad »
'Jill' of many aspects of sewing, "Mistress" of few.

Tamnymore

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 16:05:16 PM »
That's fab, Kad. I may well have to acquire this pattern!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Tamnymore

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 16:29:24 PM »
Ooops I've just bought the pattern though I've opted for a paper version. I have length of Liberty pinwale that I'll try out on it.

Sewbee

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 23:06:01 PM »
I want to get the Geranium dress in the bigger size as my niece loves those dresses but at 6 years will soon be out of the smaller size.  The 6-12 size is pdf only and I have steered clear of printing out my own patterns but that company looks interesting but I have failed at the first hurdle as I have no idea what an AO Copyshop pattern PDF file is  >:)

The day all Pattern companies switch to PDF format is the day I stop sewing. I need to acquire some good patterns quickly. The cinema dress is one of them.

Tamnymore

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »
I have a big stash of patterns- too many, I confess! I have done the occasional pdf printed pattern and they are fine. However you have several hours of extra work to stck 'em together and you also have to find a good way of storing them so I much prefer tradional paper patterns.

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 08:41:27 AM »
The day all Pattern companies switch to PDF format is the day I stop sewing.
I've already stopped sewing, but a move to PDF would mean a permanent end.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:48 AM »
I'm nearly sure they do a 50% off patterns at some stage during the year. I want to say around black friday but I'm not 100%
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

Tamnymore

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »
Aaargh! I've just bought the pattern at full price. But if they have a 50% off at some point in time that's an excuse to buy more!  ;)

Sewbee

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 12:48:44 PM »
Realised that I'd forgotten to post photo of my completed dress - it's been through the washing machine and on the line twice already since completion so it must be a success  :D

The fabric is a fine wale cord with a bit of stretch and self colour embroidery akin to 'broiderie anglais' style so the resulting dress is really comfortable and cosy.

If I make it again , fancy it in a summer weight too, I'd add perhaps an inch to the upper body and 2" to the sleeves - as I said before the pattern is bereft of markings re waist/hips/bust - it's not too short but longer would be better. As for the sleeves, I didn't want to turn back the cuffs on this dress as the fabric is quite thick enough, but in a lighter weight fabric a turn-back would be nice and necessitate lengthening the sleeve.
I sewed the longer variant and surprisingly it's plenty long enough without any additional inches  even on me (mid calf length )
The pattern envelope states 4 yd fabric, I bought 3.7m and have enough left for a straight short skirt for DD.

Forgot to explain the other 2 photos - made using a 'free' pattern from a recent magazine in jersey fabric, the leafy one is a double jersey skirt with a suede-like  top layer ( feels lovely but a b***t to sew ) and the other was sourced on our recent hols from a shop in Worcester, 'Rags' I think, much easier to sew and quicker to dry too :D

What lovely outfits - and such beautiful fabric for all three! The cinema dress is gorgeous!!

Bogwoppit

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 22:41:18 PM »
I like Liesl Gibsons patterns, I've made the classic shirt for myself from Liberty tana lawn and some of her kids Oliver and S things too.
Her instructions are very clear, I'm making my first dress from the building block dress book and learning new things every time.

There is a sewalong for the cinema dress:
https://oliverands.com/community/blog/2014/10/cinemahide-and-seek-dress-sew-along-day-1.html

Also a girls version called the hide and seek dress - if you like the matching (grand)mother/daughter look.
Lurking in Lancashire, improving my sewing when life gives me time.

Mama likes to make

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 23:05:24 PM »
Aaargh! I've just bought the pattern at full price. But if they have a 50% off at some point in time that's an excuse to buy more!  ;)

Sorry! I could be totally wrong but I can't tell from the downloads I have on the computer the they were bought. I love the Oliver & S patterns so usually try and add one or two when the sale is on.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.