The Sewing Place

Vintage machine cover

BrendaP

Vintage machine cover
« on: October 01, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »
My 1953 Aluminium 201 came with a sturdy plywood carry case which is covered in a hessian type fabric, really well glued down and varnished over, but the colour is, to my eyes, really yukky.  It's rather yellower than the photo appears.

I am thinking of moving that machine downstairs into the new room once all the building work is finished but I wouldn't want that case on-show!  I'm thinking of having the room painted neutral magnolia with bright pink accents.  Would painting the case be sacrilege and detract from its value? or not?   :vintage:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

arrow

Re: Vintage machine cover
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
Even if you do a nice job original condition is easier to sell and valued more. That said, it's not that much money either way, and if there's damage we repair best we can and reupholster cases in very bad condition. I hate it when oak and wood furniture is painted, I much rather have the original finish. I have been guilty of painting an old chest of drawers white, and I have regretted it many times. It was in bad condition, but the finish was birchroot veneer, a very dark redish brown, shellack oh, I should have had it restored in stead. People are usually very happy with the result right away, at least themselves. A couple of years later the enthusiam wears off. Is it varnished with shellac or more like pvc? Does it have to match the interior that strictly?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 11:08:21 AM by arrow »

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 11:14:38 AM »
That looks a lovely retro case to me - don't we all have different tastes?  :)  I think I'd be reluctant to do anything to it, if you don't like it, can you hide the case in a corner, or under a table?

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 11:43:22 AM »
It looks as though it would be fairly easy to make a close fitting fabric cover for it.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Holly Berry

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 12:33:05 PM »
It looks as though it would be fairly easy to make a close fitting fabric cover for it.

I would do this too. There’s a YouTube video for making a cover for a Featherweight to protect the investment of the case.   https://youtu.be/2ucDCkIqju4
Procrastination get behind me

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:38:10 PM »
With your quilting skills, Brenda, you could do a quilted cover to fit over it that matches your decor just as you wish.
Life's too short for ironing.

Snowgoose

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 13:00:58 PM »
I'm afraid if it were me I would strip and totally re-do it from scratch - I'll get me coat... :P

toileandtrouble

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 16:05:34 PM »
You aren't in the antiques business, it's not an investment.  Presumably you are going to use the machine, in which case that colour will annoy you every time you see it.  Make it something you love yourself. 
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 16:56:26 PM »
You aren't in the antiques business, it's not an investment.  Presumably you are going to use the machine, in which case that colour will annoy you every time you see it.  Make it something you love yourself.

I think that's right really, especially if BrendaP isn't going to be selling it on any time soon.

arrow

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 18:15:08 PM »
I wouldn't like to do anything less than the orignal case is. It's simle and nice really, can stained areas clean up any furthers. Sometimes natural soap and amonia can lift up dirt other detergents doesn't, the same for stain remover sprays with enzymes. There's a risk in getting too inventive and creative, the same for cheap and easy, that's what we easily get tired of. These machines live for a long time, treating it well will make a difference.

Roger

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 19:52:36 PM »
My Pfaff cover is similar I think it’s called grass cloth... bearing in mind the pfaff smelt like it had smoked 40 a day, the cover was pretty awful and a very odd colour... I baby wiped it a few times and it became a nicer colour and doesn’t smell.

It was amazing the stuff that came off the outside!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 21:29:10 PM »
Thank you for all your comments.  I'm  not looking to sell the machine but maybe it would be wrong to use paint.  I had thought about making a soft cover to use in place of the rigid one, but I hadn't thought about making a tightly fitted cover in a colour and pattern I like.  I shall be giving some though to that. 

Making a cover won't be too difficult, it's how best to attach it that will need thinking about.  The existing cover fits closely and clips down either end securely enough to carry the machine.  I would definitely like to keep the clips workable and there is probably not enough space to turn any fabric to the inside, so it might need a bit of glue in places - only enough to hold a top cover in place, it wouldn't be taking any strain.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 21:37:46 PM »
Would velcro with a stick-on side and a sew-in side work?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Roger

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 23:34:31 PM »
The over cover is a great idea, my grandmother made one for her Elna Lotus, I’ve attached a couple of pics....

It’s just a sleeve that goes over the top. But she used it to pretty the exterior, protect it on its travels ( it’s been all over the world! ) it was also regularly used to test stitches!
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 09:40:02 AM »
I think the idea of using velcro might work.  I know that in time stick-on velcro dries out and looses it's stick, so it's not that permanent and would come off again if necessary.