The Sewing Place

Block of the Month - October - Twisted Wreath

maliw

Re: Block of the Month - October
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 17:41:29 PM »
Oh dear Pearl, I don't like cutting out unless I have everything ready to go.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Cheesecake

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 17:59:37 PM »
Here is mine, my template lines must have been a bit off as the pieces are uneven, but I still like it.  Unfortunately I was a tad short of the red fabric I had so the bows are a bit too close to the background in colour.

Iminei

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 18:06:04 PM »
Oh My Cheesecake, that is wonderful!
I cant see why the template is off, if you cut them all from the same template they will be alike and fit!

Superb work, Run along now, Into the BOM HOF you go .....

:angel:
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2017, 09:48:04 AM »
My background fabric came. It's STOF fabric with metallic gold strands print....(I think it's called 'Brilliant Christmas').

I ordered half a metre but mis-calculated slightly and had to piece it to get my border on the bottom edge.
I thought I'd worked it out properly, but even with Iminei saying it would measure about 36 inch square, I was surprised by how big 36" square is... ><

I cut my border at 2 3/4". I pressed all my seams to one side and didn't feel it was a problem with bulk.

My daughter thinks I've gone mad. I'm a bit of a 'Bah! Humbugger', when it comes to Christmas. She can't quite believe I've made this. :P

Sandra.
xxx

Snowgoose

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 09:57:07 AM »
Wow!  That is stunning  :) will you make it into a cushion, it's beautiful - I can just picture a lovely plump cushion, with green and gold piping around it  :)

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 09:59:49 AM »
That is beautiful Sandra ... Very well done, and what a lovely addition for a Quilty Christmas!

Run along now, you know the way ...

The BOM HOF awaits....

:angel:

fajita

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2017, 13:27:00 PM »
Oh dearie me, I have so gone wrong somewhere. It's sort of sober on the left, merging into drunk on the right.

Don't think I'll bother sewing them together.

fajita

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2017, 14:03:16 PM »
Having reviewed the instructions I think I have discovered my error.

At the beginning you line up on the seam and cut. I did this. But then I placed the template in close to the cut to do the next piece. What I should have done, I think, was to line up the lines on each seam, not squishing the pieces in close.

Lesson learned :- read the instructions!!!

Sandra

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 15:45:51 PM »
Oh, Fajita  :(  That's such a pity.

It's a lot of fuss and faffing on this one, with all the piecing and the odd cutting, to have gone wrong.

Sandra.
xxx

maliw

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2017, 20:15:42 PM »
You girls are so organised, all I've done so far is think about what I'm going to do.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

supergran

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 20:28:22 PM »
I haven't got any sparklies or nice greens, but I know a lady who has. Another trip to Kate's I think.  :D

Sandra

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2017, 20:48:10 PM »
You girls are so organised, all I've done so far is think about what I'm going to do.

I've been hoarding FQ's for ages but have lacked imagination to know exactly what to do with them. I've bought what I liked...( they're so pretty aren't they?)....with no project to use them in.

I have 'quite a few'  :[ ahem, in a decent selection of colours, so am lucky enough to have a good range to hand when needed.
Iminei's BOM has been the perfect opportunity to use some of these up.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 08:20:06 AM »
Oh Fajita,

I am so sorry if I didnt make the destructions clear enough but how brave are you to post a pic!!!

Everyone has problems as they go along with their projects but few are honest or brave enough to own up to them ...

For instance in this project ... After I had finished sewing the first part of the wreath together and had a clear board,
I got distracted by a phone call half way through the cutting and laying out of the second set of pieces .....
when I had finished all the cutting and pinning to my board I had a great big hole in the 'jigsaw' right in the middle!!

I searched high, I searched low, I sifted through the waste, I moved pieces around ... an hour later I gave up sewed four more 5" blocks together and cut a replacement and carried on.

As I cleared up for the evening and loaded the ironing board in the corner up with the sweat shop I spied, proudly pinned to the 'design wall' i front of my eyes, the errant block, quietly laughing at me!!!! GGGGGGRRRR !!!!!!!!  :angry:

I hope you haven't been too disheartened and can maybe come back to this 'block' afresh next week or so ... you have a lovely range of blocks in the BOM HOF and it would be a shame to miss one!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 08:22:11 AM by Iminei »

fajita

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »
Ty Iminei, but don't go taking on the blame for me not reading your instructions properly. If your instructions were wrong everybody would make the same mistake.

I might have another go soon, I just need to shop for fabrics again.

Pearl

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 07:48:59 AM »
You and I could make up that special group that sits close to the teacher's desk, Fajita.

Yesterday, I unpicked the three squares on each corner to replace them with the new background fabric.  I wasn't going to replace the five in the middle, but you know what it's like, if a job's worth doing... 
I'm going to use the squares I removed in the backing.   :)