The Sewing Place

Craftsy Bra Making Courses

Missie

Craftsy Bra Making Courses
« on: October 02, 2017, 10:07:07 AM »
I've just been remeasured and was so wearing the wrong size!  What a revelation the right size is: boobs under my chin instead of my armpits and I look narrower/slimmer as well, win-win!  However, my size now puts me in the expensive to buy range (not so win-win) and a lot of them are ugly, with big fat straps etc.  I love lingerie (that and shoes are my weakness) so I'm thinking about having a go at making my own.  Just wondering if anyone has done the craftsy bra-making courses and what you thought of them. Does the class with bra patterns?  I couldn't work that out and it wasn't obvious to me (but I am a great skim-reader  :o)

Thank you.

Acorn

Re: Craftsy Bra Making Courses
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 10:43:48 AM »
I don't know anything about the classes, but there is supposed to be a sale on them at the moment.  According to Craftsy on Facebook "Every Craftsy class is under $20" although those prices are apparently not showing in the UK.  They also posted the announcement today, saying it was ending yesterday, so I'm not sure what on earth is going on!

To cut a long story short, it seems to be worth keeping an eye on their prices for the next day or so!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 11:11:12 AM »
I've got the Sewing Bras, construction and fit and I learned a lot from it.

It doesn't come with a pattern, but the demo bras are made from Pin-up Girls Classic pattern. 

In the materials list she says:
Unpadded full-band bra pattern (e.g., Pin-Up Girls Classic, Elan B645, Kwik Sew K2374)

When I did the course the only sources of the pattern and the fabrics she used were in Canada or BWear in Sweden.  Since then Fit2Sew in Croydon have started stocking her kits.  The other major source of bra making stuff is Sewing Chest but they don't do kits.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 13:29:57 PM »
Can't add anything Missie apart from, when you get good at this (which knowing you, won't be that long) will you make me a nice bra please???

Bra shopping was a chore from my twenties onward that would literally bring me to the point of tears ... Sod it, why beat around the bush ...had me in tears everytime as I desperately wanted to look sleek and sexy but was always presented with the 'Over the  Shoulder Boulder Holder' !!!

Now I'm in a Sumptiously Soft M&S special that I know doesn't fit quite right but, as I rarely go out and nobody is looking anyway, does me!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

dolcevita

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 20:12:47 PM »
I have those classes, Missie, and found them to be very useful.  They don't come with a pattern and although Beverly Johnson uses her own pattern throughout, the lesson apply equally well to most other patterns.

As a tutor, I really like her style and find her easy to watch and follow.  She has a very dry sense of humour, but I suspect she may not appeal to all.

I've recently been using the Orange lingerie patterns and really like the Marlborough bra pattern.  It gives quite an uplifting profile but not too much.  I've found that the Dutch Maerkwerdigh patterns are also very nice and give a slightly more natural profile.

Even though I'm an experienced sewer, I was a little nervous about going into the world of lingerie but it's not really intimidating, just different, and I'd certainly recommend it.  I love my own bras, they are so much nicer and more comfortable than any I've bought.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:56:20 AM »
Thank you Ladies.  I think I might have a dabble  :D!