The Sewing Place

Saving fabric

crooknees

Re: Saving fabric
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 17:42:12 PM »
I have drawers full of fabric that I  love so much I'm afraid to use it. I may make a cutting out mistake (My big fear) or it may not fit, or there are too many awkward seams to match that pattern. -<
The other problem I have, is not wanting to waste any of the length. A 2mtr. pattern and a 3 mtr. fabric length is a definate no, no. :S

Lowena

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 17:54:23 PM »
Shakes head in absolute disbelief  :ninja: :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Vegegrow

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 20:24:41 PM »
Oh Low you are never destined to have a fabric stash...I have cupboards of fabric... I have become less precious about it.. I made myself a quick cotton robe from some Liberty fabric in the summer... I needed a light robe and I looked at my 'tiny' liberty stash and thought why not... I'm worth it and cut..  I have cut into fabric that was £200 a metre I can cut into my stash
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
I do envy people who can make clothes  <3
Just made half a dozen lavender bags for the charity shop... used up the last of my batik fabric I bought on impulse from Doughty's at the Exeter quilt show in April. I was tetchy at having fabric lying around for so long  :| and got sweaty palms when I opened the container  :| Now .. it's gone  :D :toast:

sewmuchmore

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 18:40:19 PM »
  I have cut into fabric that was £200 a metre
:S HOW MUCH!!!
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Vegegrow

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 21:01:56 PM »
It was the most beautiful French corded lace .. It was a wedding Dress  and it was a short fitted dress .. it was for a friend of my sisters  unfortunately the bride became a widow so I have never asked for a picture
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

datcat23

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 04:12:45 AM »
People .... you need to let this go.  There will always be more beautiful fabric.  Seems to me, if you bought the fabric to make something, then until its made into something, it is a liability, a waste of money. 

I bought a lovely big piece of brushed cotton, wonderfully soft.  It marinated in the stash for a few years, and then I finally committed myself and made a dress.  Well it was my famous gertie dress, that was a complete disaster.  But, I loved the fabric, so upicked the lot, cut a new bodice, and remade the dress.  Its still not perfect, but its a dress that gets worn, which is better than a length of fabric that won't.  If it hadn't worked, then it would have been made into a skirt, or cut up and used for a baby outfit. 

I am guilty of loving fabric and being scared to cut.   But I buy this fabric for me, and being frightened of it means that I am punishing myself.  Be brave, and if it doesn't work out, better to have tried. 
The barefoot seamstress:  smelling vaguely of lavender and mothballs, and desperately craving chocolate.
2024:  Mending:  2  | Fabric used:  2.5m | Items made:  1  |  Quilts:      |  Fabric destashed:  25m

Bowerbird

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 04:34:18 AM »
I am trying to tell myself that if it's sitting in the cupboard then it's value is just the same as if I've made something that didn't work out But at least I've tried to do something with it, and I've had the joy of looking at it and planning something, and the sewing of it. Now there is a luscious length of silk....

The same with stuff I want to get rid of-it's not being used and it's just taking up space so I might as well give it to the op shop & let someone get the good of it, plus the charity gets the money. I could sell it myself but that takes effort (I've been thinking of that for 3 years, but never get around to it)

Catllar

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 18:51:27 PM »
I've been stash busting now for a while, and if there is no chance of making anything, then away it goes to the charity shop. Out have gone all patterned fabrics that look great on the roll but are so in your face when made  up. Mutters grimly through teeth - plains and neutrals, plains and neutrals.  The only thing still looking at me is a piece of Linton - might have to go shortly - don't know what I was thinking of, but it's pink!!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

elisep

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
Yes, I have this problem! But not because I'm worried about mucking something up, or it not fitting. I'm pretty unhappy with my weight at the moment, and I think anything I make at the moment, I'm not going to be happy with how I look in it :(
I am on a weight loss journey, so I also worry that if I make something that fits now, in a year it won't fit anymore. So, I've got some lovely fabrics in my stash that are waiting till I have hit my goal weight (or close to it). Mostly more expensive or unusual fabrics that I won't be able to find again if I want to make another version! Mostly some gorgeous wool coatings and a couple of unusual suiting fabrics that I want to make up into work clothes.

A couple of months ago I was having a bad time of it, not wanting to sew for the above mentioned reasons.... the way I got myself out of that slump was to go and buy some fabrics that I liked, but won't be devastated if I only get to wear them for one season, and make some nice clothes that fit me now, and accept that I'll be throwing them out/giving them away in a year's time!
Stash Busting 2023
Used: 4 metres

jen

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 09:06:54 AM »
I'm guilty of fabric hoarding (all kinds of hoarding, precious fabrics to miniscule scraps and pieces that might do as interfacing or to make a trim). Taking stock recently I realised that if I don't cut into the good pieces they'll probably outlive me. DDs aren't especially interested in sewing, so precious silks could finish up being dumped. I'm just finishing a pattern for a beautiful cornflower blue silk velvet now. Got to use it.

Holly Berry

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 17:24:12 PM »
I’m not afraid of making a mistake or it not fitting, rather that I can’t make my mind up quite often which pattern to use, so it gets put away again

When we were clearing my Mum’s house, I gave a lot of her stuff that I really couldn’t take and gave it to the local college where she had taught dressmaking, believing it would go to a grateful home.
No such thing, not even a thank you. I vowed then that I wouldn’t leave anything behind for it just to be disposed of.......... I think I need to do something about it now!!
Procrastination get behind me

Ravingdoll

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2017, 15:58:07 PM »
I am fairly good at using up my ‘best’ fabrics, it is time rather than fear that keeps things maturing in the metal vintage trunks!  If I am going to use an expensive or particularly pleasing (to me) piece where to waste it would bring a tear to the eye then I make a toile first, and if I feel I can live with the loss if it all goes wrong then I don’t. The only thing I haven’t used up is a very expensive piece of Chanel fabric, mostly because I can’t decide what pattern would really do justice to it.  When the time comes though I’ll have to fight Toby for it, every time I take it out of the case he makes a beeline for it! 

b15erk

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
Next year is going to be the Year of Busting the Stash.  I have so much fabric I forget what's there....

My excuse is lack of time to sew, and also dithering about which pattern to use.

I have to admit to being a sucker for a nice piece of bargain fabric though.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Lowena

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
I'm amazed you have time for half the things you do J. between work, VAT returns and making for the next but one generation. I think I'd just flop in front of the telly  :D