The Sewing Place

Latest ballroom dress - mean and moody Tango!

Marniesews

Latest ballroom dress - mean and moody Tango!
« on: October 03, 2017, 23:34:41 PM »
Well, this is just one of the reasons I've not been around much over the last few weeks... Tango ballroom. We wanted it to be very different to what everyone else was wearing and reflect the S American origins (think of embroidered Gaucho jackets. Having seen last year how strong and dramatic black dresses looked on the floor of the Empress Ballroom we knew this would stand out.

I should also mention that this is the first dress I've drafted from start to finish using the Julie Cole book on patternmaking for knit fabrics so it was a big learning experience all around. Lots of tweaks still needed, for example, I raised the underarms for greater movement but it's given her a wrinkle when her arms are down (fine in hold) and the shoulder seam needs to be shortened. The cuffs need changing - they have thumb holes and the double section should only cover the fingers/knuckles, I'll alter that shortly.

I think we achieved the look in general but it backfired somewhat as the Empress Ballroom had a problem with a repair to the ornate plaster ceiling and we were moved to a small dark & gloomy floor where the dress just looked dark without the drama on a comparatively poorly lit floor.  :'(

Lots more stoning going on it before she wears it again.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 23:40:39 PM by Marniesews »
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

fajita

Re: Latest ballroom dress - mean and moody Tango!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 23:49:04 PM »
It's beautiful.

What a shame about your venue change, though.

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
WOW!!

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 09:12:17 AM »
Beautiful dress!  Great fit too.

Sandra

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 09:13:27 AM »
Oh, that's just gorgeous!  :loveit:

Lovely work.

Sandra.
xxx

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 14:38:10 PM »
Amazing dress, and beautiful dancer!

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 15:53:00 PM »
Wonderful gown

maliw

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 19:46:20 PM »
The dress is beautiful, well done.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lollipop

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 19:58:43 PM »
That's beautiful Jacky, and so is your granddaughter.
Was Sewnanny

Catllar

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2017, 20:19:13 PM »
Lovely work and she looks amazing in it!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Lachica

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
Fabulous.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

CarolC

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:16 AM »
That's lovely! Well done, and she looks great in it. Between this and the other post, you've definitely sold me on Julie Cole.

What a nightmare about the Winter Gardens. I saw that NATD had been changed, and I think that IDTA has gone to a hotel somewhere out of town. We are still waiting to hear if our equivalent event on the 1st weekend in Nov will go ahead, and if so where. It's so frustrating as apparently they have known about the problems (of which there are many) for years but haven't fixed them and now it's come back to haunt them. My teacher said they had to dance the Internationals 3 years ago around one of the massive palm trees taken from the lobby that was acting as a drip catcher from a leaking roof!

Interesting also about the lighting in other room - I hadn't thought of that, and had been considering wearing black. I might think again about that!

Carol xx

Marniesews

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 17:40:36 PM »
It was the Horseshoe Room. It's very small and all the wide pillars are in the way for spectators. The dance floor extends under the balcony so it's rather poorly lit there and patchy elsewhere.

Much smaller capacity too so although we arrived for the time if the doors opening lots of others had got in and with the entire balcony closed off there wasn't a single seat for us and many others. The organisers planned that people would rotate but no one did so we all stood up for hours.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Yellowfeather

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 18:21:21 PM »
Stunning dress!   Well done, you should really pleased with yourself.