The Sewing Place

(Fake) Sashiko or (Fake) Hand quilted stitch look, by machine

Morgan

Iminei

Re: (Fake) Sashiko or (Fake) Hand quilted stitch look, by machine
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 08:13:18 AM »
Veeeerrrrry Interesting Mr Bond!

I think this might be what I need to boot me out of the stupor I've been in recently, I really like Sashiko but as Im useless at threading needles and all things hand done, have not been able to indulge.

PS loved the wheely thing on the girls machine in the video, wouldn't it be great if Janome did ones of those for The Splurge!

PPS The Splurges tension settings are generally set on Auto (I think this is set at 4 normally) but can anyone tell me which number is looser for bobbin tension ?  1 or 7 ... I can never fathom it !!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 08:18:07 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »
That lovely hand quilted look at double quick speed.  What's not to love?  Thanks, Morgan.  I was going to hand quilt my mystery quilt for a  big stitch look but...

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 10:15:12 AM »
Can't do any of that on my machine, but I like hand quilting anyway
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 13:29:29 PM »
I've had a play!

The first time was a disaster (but I think that was more to do with the bobbin thread catching somewhere somehow) but after that it worked beautifully. The only thing is the stitch length here varied between 2.5 going onto 4.5 so the stitches aren't ever going to be big, and I like BIG stitching! :(

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oESrbJgx7sEzZtwq2

I didn't use monofiliament, (I cant even see proper thread properly, that awful bendy, bouncy, escapey stuff was an obvious no from the start) I just matched the thread to the top fabric.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:19:43 AM by Iminei »

supergran

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 21:02:16 PM »
I can't see the pic Imi, but I have to agree about monofilament thread. I tried it once and swore it would never go on my machine again. It's vile stuff. I'm sure I read a recommendation for a clear thread that wasn't like fishing line and was easy to use. I think it was Lady Sew and Sew, but I'm going to go and have a look see and try to find out what it was. I like the idea of hand look, but my hands won't let me do it for more than about 5 minutes, so it has to be my machine.  >:)

Ok just checked. Lady Sew and Sew recommends YLI invisible thread and I read another article which also likes this one, but for those of us who hate monofilament, Wonderfil apparently is the way to go. It's a 2ply 100 weight polyester, comes in lots of colours and is supposed to be fine enough to be unnoticeable in a quilt. Cotton Patch sells it, but it is pretty expensive at about €10 a reel.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 21:55:56 PM by supergran »

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »
I can't see the picture either.
Did you have to make any alteration to the bobbin thread tension?  I avoid dabbling with that.
Life's too short for ironing.

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 11:21:25 AM »
pretty expensive at about €10 a reel. !!!!!!!

No alteration to bobbin tension, just top tension at 8 !! which was what The Splurges handbook recommended.

Tried loading the pic again, if not there a link to it!

googled the YLI stuff and found it cheapest at £3-£4 (1,500m) and most expensive at ... guess where ... Hobbycraft of course at £2.45 (Guttermans) for 200 m ?!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:25:27 AM by Iminei »

supergran

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 16:07:07 PM »
I've just had another look. The Wonderfil Invisafil is on spools of 2500 metres, so not so expensive as it sounds. I'm tempted to buy a spool of that and one of the YLI one and compare them. I'll check what the stitch is like with a blending colour on top first though.

Morgan

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2017, 16:25:24 PM »
Just a note - Nylon Monofilament comes in different weights/thickness so do check -
for an example, see the different weights, strengths and uses at Empress Mills

However, consider using HT Poly Thread aka blind hemming thread - it's softer, more maleable and does a good job.

Empress Mills also sell the blind hemming thread as one of their  fine bobbin fill threads

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 16:26:57 PM by Morgan »

supergran

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2017, 18:40:12 PM »
Thanks for that Morgan, I may try the HT thread, although the postage rate to Spain makes it rather expensive.
I had a play with the normal thread and it didn't work. I tried red on top and cream in bobbin, tried altering the tension rather a lot but the bobbin thread stayed hidden. Tried it the other way round and still couldn't see the bobbin thread on top. Checked the instructions again which said to change the balance if necessary, did that and still no difference. I don't know what to try next, but I'll have another fiddle tomorrow and see if I can get it looking something like hand work. I could probably live with it showing the colour on all stitches, but it would be better if I could get it sorted out.  -<

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 08:38:17 AM »
I just put a matching red on the top spool, altered the top tension to 8 (is that looser or tighter ???) and the bobbin thread (cream) came up fine.

but even with the stitch length at 4.5 the length of the cream (bobbin) stitches didn't seem to get appreciably longer.
Lowena made that wonderful Sashiko cushion which was the sort of length i was aiming for...

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2017, 09:57:39 AM »
Would you get the effect of a longer stitch length by switching the colours, i.e., cream as the top thread and red in the bobbin?

Morgan

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2017, 10:32:53 AM »
. . .  altered the top tension to 8 (is that looser or tighter ???) and the bobbin thread (cream) came up fine.

Top Thread Tensions
0 is no tension
1 is loose (less tension) - 9 is tight (more tension)
For sewing a balanced straight stitch most machines will have a tension somewhere around 3 - 4 - 5.  The setting is usually adjusted to get a balanced stitch depending on the the fabric type and thickness, thread thickness, needle size and stitch length. Each factor can make a difference.  For zigzag and decorative stitches the top tension is often reduced a little.

Computerised machines have a default tension and stitch length setting for each stitch.  Sometimes the default tension setting is called 'auto tension'.  It is only ever a starting point because the machine cannot know the fabric is or the thread thickness or the needle type and size.  The user adjusts the tension tighter or looser and/or adjusts the stitch length, to get the effect wanted.

The mock hand stitch is about playing around with unbalanced tension and stitch length by tightening the top tension to pull the bobbin thread up to the top.

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 10:41:09 AM »
Isn't it easier to just do it by hand?  -<
Triumph of hope over experience :D