The Sewing Place

Which Overlocker?

Sewbee

Which Overlocker?
« on: October 06, 2017, 15:42:49 PM »
Now that my sewing room is finally taking shape and I have a lovely new Bernina 570qe, the next thing is an overlocker/serger. I've been out of commission as regards sewing for about ten years so I am not up to date on brands. However, For the last 30 years I have only used Bernina sergers and sewing machines. My dealer recommends a Babylock but I really don't want to spend a wad of money for a Babylock even if it means I have to continue to thread a serger. Once I got used to the sergers I have owned in the past they weren't that bad to thread. I'd get a Bernina but the newer ones made by Jaguar are supposed to be not as good as the former Bernina models which were made by Juki. i know some newer models don't have a free arm but that's a feature I quite like. It's good for adding cuffs on knits, although rib knit cuffs may have gone out of style now. -<

I'd like to get a good quality one that will last so I would really appreciate some suggestions - but I don't want to pay £1,000 for it!

Note: I was originally thinking of the Bernina 1150mda (made by Juki) but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 15:48:58 PM by Sewbee »

Sewbee

Re: Which Overlocker?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 16:05:40 PM »
I just realised the Juki MO734DE is almost the same as the Bernina 1150mda and I actually found one available. I've never used Juki. Does anyone have this particular overlocker?

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 16:44:40 PM »
I have the Juki MO644DE after having a Lidl Singer for a while (not my best friend) and I LOVE it.

Juki is a work horse and it has been fine so far though I've only had it a little over a year.

However, the Juki MO734DE seems to only be a two-thread. Are you sure that's going to be OK for you?

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 16:46:03 PM »
I have the Juki MO644DE after having a Lidl Singer for a while (not my best friend) and I LOVE it.

Juki is a work horse and it has been fine so far though I've only had it a little over a year.

However, the Juki MO734DE seems to only be a two-thread. Are you sure that's going to be OK for you?

I didn't realise it was only a two-thread. No, that won't do :( I will go and look at the 644.

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 16:59:12 PM »
Just called the company that's selling the Juki 734. It is a 2-3-4 serger with an auto needle threader (nice!) I was told Juki make a very good overlocker and they are pretty easy to thread. This one's a contender but I will still do more research to be sure.

Maximum

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 17:43:53 PM »
Juki make excellent overlockers and I cannot understand why Bernina no longer use them for manufacture. The needle threader is a bit hit and miss on mine but I have no problem threading. I personally would not pay extra for air threading. You do not need a free arm for sleeves and baby/children sleeves would not fit as they are too small. Just sew on the inside and rotate the sleeve above the sewing bed.

BrendaP

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 17:57:50 PM »
I have a Bernina 1150mda and I'm very happy with it.

I bought it just over a year ago from a proper bricks and mortar shop in Rochester.  They only had three 4-thread overlockers to choose from; a Pfaff which had tension problems, a Brother which sounded worse than the ancient Toyota 3-thread machine which I was replacing and the Bernina so the choice wasn't difficult but it has proved to be a good one.

It whizzes through fleece and jersey with no trouble and I seldom need to alter the tension to anything other than 4-4-4-4  or 4-4-4.

I haven't used the needle threader much - it's never been quite the same since the time I somehow managed to get a bird's nest between needles and loopers and I think pulled a bit hard, but to be honest I found it just as fiddly to thread the needles that way as it it to thread them directly.  Not having a free arm isn't a problem; either work on the inside of the sleeve or whatever or turn it inside-out.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2017, 18:13:31 PM »
The Juki 734 does look very similar to the Bernina 1150.  Go for it! 0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewbee

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 18:17:37 PM »
The two Bernina sergers I owned were indeed fantastic machines. My first was over 30 years ago and was a Bernina 2-3-4, I believe. The next one was a 2000dce. They could sew anything.

I just looked at the Juki 654 because it gets really good ratings but the knobs in the front remind me of that first Bernina serger which, while a great sewer, was a real nuisance to thread. The 734 is only £20 more.

Yes, I soon thought of the way around serving cuffs. You're right; the free arm is not necessary. :)

The only thing is the dealer where I bought my Bernina doesn't sell Juki. (No wonder he recommended Babylock but no way am I paying that price.) Good news is that there is a Juki dealer about an hour away. That's not bad. Touch wood, I have never had to take a serger to a dealer and hopefully won't in the future except perhaps for servicing

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 18:18:30 PM »
The Juki 734 does look very similar to the Bernina 1150.  Go for it! 0_0

That's what I thought, too! I looked at photos of both and there's hardly any difference :)

Morgan

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 23:21:59 PM »
The Juki is an excellent machine and it's the same as the Bernina 1150MDA  except it doesn't have the micro-thread control feature (which is unnecessary).
If I ever need to buy another O/L, I'm getting the Juki.

When you get your o/l, if you do the exercises in the workbook, you'll know the machine forwards, backwards and every which way in no time at all.  It's worth doing because it gives you the confidence to try anything and to make the most of what the machine can do. 

Jo

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
Here's another one in favour of the Juki :) I have the MO735, because I really didn't have the space for a coverstitch and an overlocker. I've had it for a little over one year and it's been super reliable.

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
Morgan, thanks for the workbook link. 140 pages! I'll wait for a rainy winter's day before tackling it. Meanwhile I've downloaded it for reference. It looks like a very comprehensive guide.

Sewbee

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »
Yes, thank you for that terrific workbook! I've been browsing through it this morning. I think I am moving 99% towards that Juki  :D

Snowgoose

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2017, 14:12:51 PM »
The workbook is well worth having printed!  I think it cost me about eight pounds a little while ago for single-sided, black and white here https://www.doxdirect.com

Placed in plastic pockets in a ringbinder it's easy to look at and keep to hand  :). I have a vintage Bernina to learn - it's currently stored away until I have cleared the space for it  :)