The Sewing Place

Which Overlocker?

Sewbee

Re: Which Overlocker?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2017, 14:45:45 PM »
Thank you Snowgoose. Good idea to have it printed for future. What a great service that website offers.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 14:57:40 PM by Sewbee »

Sewbee

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2017, 18:16:48 PM »
I think I am ready to buy the Juki mo734de overlocker but still researching just to be sure.

Another good one seems to be the Elna 664 Pro. Any comments about that one? I can't find a site that has both Juki and Elna to be able to compare them.

Marniesews

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 18:54:55 PM »
I love my Juki MO1000, had it for a couple of years now and would only consider moving up for a machine with needle up/down.

It has air threading and, although that wasn't a big item on my list of requirements, it's quick and easy to use. I've never been one for pulling threads through so I've never tried to avoid threading with any of my machines. The build quality is great and, if I do look to change it at some point, Juki will be the first I try. One thing I especially like about Juki is they include all the important safety features (such as cut-outs when doors are open) on all their models, not just the more expensive ones like Bernina do.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewbee

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2017, 19:02:02 PM »
I love my Juki MO1000, had it for a couple of years now and would only consider moving up for a machine with needle up/down.

It has air threading and, although that wasn't a big item on my list of requirements, it's quick and easy to use. I've never been one for pulling threads through so I've never tried to avoid threading with any of my machines. The build quality is great and, if I do look to change it at some point, Juki will be the first I try. One thing I especially like about Juki is they include all the important safety features (such as cut-outs when doors are open) on all their models, not just the more expensive ones like Bernina do.

Another vote for Juki!!  :D

In researching, I have found really rave reviews for the Juki 654 serger. I know it has the knobs on the front rather than the lay-in threading but I wonder what the other differences are.

My first serger had the knobs and although a Bernina was terrible to thread. My second serger, another Bernina, has the lay-in threads. I thought it was a bit easier to thread so I was put off when I saw the 654 had knobs but it is getting great reviews. What to do!

Marniesews

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2017, 20:33:38 PM »
I know it has the knobs on the front rather than the lay-in threading but I wonder what the other differences are.

You'll be pleased to know that the difference between the knob tensions and lay-in tensions is primarily aesthetic and, if anything, the knob type are superior because the thread passes around 3/4+ of the way through them whereas the lay-in type passes through a little less. The other benefit is that it's easier to clean between the disks as they're more accessible around the entire knob.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Sewbee

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 12:41:53 PM »
Well, since my new sewing room should be ready for use on the 9th, I just came across a fantastic deal on an overlocker. My dealer had an ex-demo overlocker on sale with an elasticator foot and thread for a great price so I jumped at it. He has other feet available for it such as piping, etc. But I've never used any fancy overlocker feet. Actually, I've never used an elasticator foot but I've seen demos of it online and it looks great. Should I consider any other feet for the overlocker?

I need to make some clothes - haven't bought a thing this year - so I've been looking at cotton/elastene knit on a few sites and it's really lovely. I know I could sew knits on the sewing machine but I realised just how much I am used to using an overlocker for them.

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 07:50:40 AM »
Lidl have a singer OL on sale this week (Or was it last week) for £139 ! and a S Sewing machine for £129 !
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewbee

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 10:32:06 AM »
Lidl have a singer OL on sale this week (Or was it last week) for £139 ! and a S Sewing machine for £129 !

Thanks Imi. I'm a die hard Bernina girl - or perhaps Juki. I was going to buy a Juki but when I saw this Bernina for the same price on my dealers blog, I jumped at it. He also services Bernina but unfortunately not Juki.

Bit by bit my sewing world is coming together. I am SO excited that I will soon be able to sew clothes again, as well as learn to quilt.

Gernella

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »
I started off with a Janome 644D, great machine and a workhorse.  But then I treated myself to the Bernina 1150mda, again a real workhorse with lovely stitches and I must admit superior to the Janome but since I understand it was made by Juki I would tend to go Juki if Berninas are now made by someone else.  Juki's make them for the commercial market so they can't afford to cock up
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included