The Sewing Place

Twin needle

Kathy

Twin needle
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »
I tried a twin needle to re-hem some lycra trousers.  The needle works perfectly on woven cotton, but when I tried it on the stretchy fabric the right-hand needle skips (a lot) of stitches.
I don't think the problem can be the needle itself, or both sides would skip.  Perhaps a thread issue? I'm using ordinary Gutermann thread.
Does anyone have any suggestions; the trousers weren't cheap!

b15erk

Re: Twin needle
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
It will probably be the needle, unless you have a ball point or stretch twin needle.  It sounds too simple I know, but I've done it myself, and thought I could trick the machine, but no, I had to change to a stretch twin needle.

The thing is, that ball point will sew on woven fabric, but stretch/jersey/lycra hate needles meant for wovens.....

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Jo

Re: Twin needle
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:16:11 PM »
How big is the hem? Any chance the fabric gets pulled in a bit in the throat plate? I know I've had this problem recently and was solved by switching to a staight stitch plate (which, of course, you cannot do with a twin needle). You could also try some stabilizer, or even some tissue paper.