The Sewing Place

I've been reading the posts here........

justpottering

I've been reading the posts here........
« on: October 08, 2017, 16:29:13 PM »
I have completely missed this area of TSP but then again knitting and crochet is a winter thing for me, to sit on those dark evenings watching the box (if I can find anything to watch) it is good for me because it keeps me still.
I have just started knitting a cardigan for DH, although I still have a sweater to finish that I put away in the spring - when I don't want to knit anymore nothing will induce me to do so.....I only need to finish of the top of one sleeve and sew it all together!  I started knitting in school, and remember knitting my first baby cardigan for an expected new cousin at the age of 7
I also love to crochet, for this I am self taught, I learned the very basics as a child, but about 10 years ago bought myself a book with all the different crochet stitches in it, found a pattern and bobs yer uncle - I can now make all sorts of things, I have a pattern for a lacy cardi for me which shall be this winters crochet pattern.
So I shall be visiting this part of the Sewing Place a bit more often through the coming months  :)
When I started DH's cardi last night, he was looking at the pattern, he asked me if I ever to a tension square, when I said no he said 'it says here that you should' so I did one, gave it to him to measure, and it was perfect, and I said 'that's why I don't do a tension square unless it's an unusual yarn which isn't necessarily the recommended one for the pattern, because my knitting tension is usually ok'  :)
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Lowena

Re: I've been reading the posts here........
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 17:38:29 PM »
I've tried and tried to learn to crochet... had lessons, got books, watched vids but  :'( :'(
My knitting is poor but acceptable... I'm knitting a teddy atm  :)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 17:50:35 PM »
I've never really got on with crochet either.  I can do the basic stitches but I find the action hard on my hand and wrist.
Life's too short for ironing.

tumblina

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 18:01:18 PM »
I've never really got on with crochet either.  I can do the basic stitches but I find the action hard on my hand and wrist.
This is what stymies me too. I managed one cardigan a while ago but have up on the second one because I couldn't work on it for very long each time which meant it was taking forever. Do the ergonomic hooks help?

Pearl

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 18:19:02 PM »
I can do the basic stitches.

You're several steps ahead of me there, Ploshkin.  I don't know how to hold the hook and yarn.  I want to hold them the same as when knitting.   -< -< -<

justpottering

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 18:36:28 PM »
Although crochet is newer to me than knitting I think I prefer it, probably for similar reasons expressed here about crochet I started getting elbow pain when knitting and finger ache which I don't get with crochet and the best bit is that it grows quicker  0_0
I also like to swap from one to another keeps me interested so I usually have both on the go

Low keep going with the knitting it gets more natural the more you do it don't be too ambitious, just do small easy items   :)
JP
Dressmaker - but first......tea

Fiona M

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 18:40:20 PM »
I find crochet much easier than knitting, only one loop and one hook to focus on!

LeilaMay

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 18:41:27 PM »
I knit all the time, but slowly :)
I learnt to crochet, but perhaps because of the style of things I made, I was always thinking "I could have knit that better" so I don't bother.

I'm not much a one for 'free form' or working without a pattern, so the possibilities of crochet don't appeal in that way.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 19:21:11 PM »
When I started DH's cardi last night, he was looking at the pattern, he asked me if I ever to a tension square, when I said no he said 'it says here that you should' so I did one, gave it to him to measure, and it was perfect, and I said 'that's why I don't do a tension square unless it's an unusual yarn which isn't necessarily the recommended one for the pattern, because my knitting tension is usually ok'  :)

I used to be able to say that, but with the internet and lots of small independent designers out there - especially if you find your patterns on Ravelry - it's not always the case that the designer will have worked to 'average' tension.  Nor are you likely to have used the same yarn.

That's why I now mostly knit socks because they are a swatch!  Socks need a bit of negative tension which can be evened out between length and widthways stretch.  If the tension is a bit on the tight side I just work a few extra rows, if it's a bit loose I start the shaping a bit sooner.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Snowgoose

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 19:39:41 PM »
You're several steps ahead of me there, Ploshkin.  I don't know how to hold the hook and yarn.  I want to hold them the same as when knitting.   -< -< -<

I can't make it work, trying to hold the yarn in my left hand and hook in my right, so I crochet as I would knit - hook and yarn both in right hand  :) lovely and comfortable  :D

Ploshkin

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 19:49:36 PM »
I understand that if you crochet with ease and want to knit you should find it easier to do continental style knitting because you hold the yarn in the left hand and hook it through the stitches - like crochet but without the hook at the end of the needle.
Life's too short for ironing.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2017, 20:04:02 PM »

I can't make it work, trying to hold the yarn in my left hand and hook in my right, so I crochet as I would knit - hook and yarn both in right hand  :) lovely and comfortable  :D

Not knowing anyone to teach me I taught myself to crochet as a child from looking at the how-to-crochet illustrations in a copy of the 1970s Golden Hands magazine, and as a result I developed my own technique - hook and yarn in right hand, same as you Snowgoose  :)

I flick the yarn over the hook with my right forefinger too, the same as I do when knitting.

I tried to alter my technique once I'd realised everyone else seemed to do things differently, but holding the yarn in my left hand made my brain feel like it was doing somersaults, so I soon gave up on that.