The Sewing Place

Waterproof cosmetic bag

Lilacs

Waterproof cosmetic bag
« on: October 08, 2017, 19:46:16 PM »
Hi - I'd like to make some cosmetic bags for pressies so need the lining to be wipe-able. I remember years ago a discussion about using a shower curtain for this very purpose. Is that right? Would I be looking for a white plastic one as opposed to a fabric one (which seemed to be the offering in the pound shop)?
 There's a £3 one in Wilko but i don't know how to insert a link!!

Vegegrow

Re: Waterproof cosmetic bag
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 21:13:27 PM »
I would think that a plastic one would be the best option .. the fabric one would absorb moisture .. the plastic one would be wipe off
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Lilacs

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2017, 21:54:11 PM »
I'm guessing they'd sew OK - the plastic ones? Just kill the needle pretty quickly, I should think!

Sewingsue

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 22:36:44 PM »
Dunelm sells plastic by the metre.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lilacs

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
Thanks but not sure how pliable that would be.

Acorn

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 09:06:53 AM »
I have a length of waterproof stuff that I bought from a fabric shop for lining toilet bags.  I haven't used any yet, but I think it was being sold as both lining and shower curtain material.  It certainly feels like most shower curtains I've had (not the transparent, thicker, more plasticky ones).  I think you should be fine.  No idea what sort of needle to use though!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

HenriettaMaria

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2017, 12:01:22 PM »
Have you thought of PVC-coated cotton?  The sort of thing you buy when the children are small and you don't want pasta and rusk rubbed into the table!  I know you can get it at John Lewis, and while it's not ultra-cheap per metre, it's wide and so for this kind of job fairly economical.  I had some when DS was little (dark blue with silver sparkly bits) and I make him pencil cases out of it now because they don't come wide enough for rulers and all the other clutter he has to carry.  I last made him one about 4 years ago and it's only now going into holes.