The Sewing Place

McCalls 7243 View D

Silver Rose

McCalls 7243 View D
« on: October 09, 2017, 09:35:46 AM »
I have nearly finished this dress in a lovely crushed raspberry coloured angora jersey, I was getting along OK until I reached steps 8 and 9. I could see clearly what bit had to go where but the pattern instructions were (to me ) difficult to understand so I just did the best I could. It looks alright and I will wear it. I looked at the PatternReview site and most people said it easy, one person mentioned a problem with the instructions for steps 8 and 9. After I've worn it and if I feel comfortable in it I may  make it again. Has anyone made this?  Meanwhile I am making some pyjama bottoms for a more relaxing time!
Still learning

Ploshkin

Re: McCalls 7243 View D
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
This is the pattern

It's not one I've made but I presume pieces 8 & 9 are to do with the cross over collar.  I can see that it could be a bit tricky.  Your fabric sounds lovely.
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 08:48:32 AM »
Yes Ploshkin it was the crossover collar part - should have made that clearer. Anyway it is now finished and I am going to wear it today although I haven't  made a very neat job of the hem. I used a straight stretch stitch then saw it was ruffling up the hem edge so I changed to a non-stretch straight stitch and that looked better. You might have gathered I'm not best pleased with the result :|, maybe I should have hand finished the hem - I don't think I'll make it again soon.
What is the best way/stitch to finish a jersey hem?
Still learning

sewmuchmore

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:56 AM »
Is this the dress Holly Berry made when she won the stash competition? She may be able to help with the crossover.
Re the hem, do you have an overlock machine? I overlock the edge then either twin needle the hem or use a small zig zag or the stretch stitch on my machine depending on the look i want. I think, looking at this and the fabric you mention i would probably have finished by hand.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Silver Rose

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 09:55:19 AM »
i do have a twin needle  for stretch fabrics but in my haste (as usual) I didn't think to try it -- next time... watch this space. I am wearing the dress now, it is OK and warm.
Still learning

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 11:46:36 AM »
I recall asking somewhere on here about hems on Jersey and how to stop them curling up.  I was advised to use a strip of fusible knit interfacing in the hem.  That might work well for a dress as it would give a little bit more weight to the hem.
Life's too short for ironing.

Silver Rose

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 08:54:32 AM »
Thanks everybody for your helpful comments, I think I might shorten it to tunic length as it is very cosy to wear. Before I attempt the hem on that I'll look up all possibilities so to be sure to make a neat job of it. Wore it yesterday and treated myself to 1m of aubergine needlecord to make a pencil skirt.
Still learning