The Sewing Place

Bunting miscommunication - help!

rls1016

Bunting miscommunication - help!
« on: March 06, 2017, 16:17:45 PM »
A friend wanted custom bunting for her wedding - she chose the fabric and shared it between three of us bridesmaids. Two of us diligently cut, seamed right sides together, turned and pressed… and the third has cut out, folded each edge in and topstitched.
I guess it's my fault for not being clearer but how can I resurrect her 100 flags? The best I can think of without ripping every stitch  and starting again is pair them wrong side to wrong side and topstitch *again*…
Or does anyone have any better ideas?

Roger

Re: Bunting miscommunication - help!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 16:40:53 PM »
Put her flag every 3rd and make it part of a pattern... tbh unless people are very close to the bunting they are unlikely to notice I should think, but adding the different flag every 3rd should make it look like a pattern rather than a manufacturing error :)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

Vegegrow

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 16:41:08 PM »
How's it going to be hung ... could that string go against a wall then it won't show
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 16:53:49 PM »
Put her flag every 3rd and make it part of a pattern.

That's just what I was going to suggest...

Seriously, although no doubt beautifully made, the bunting is just a pretty bit of dressing for what sounds like a big wedding...

No ones going to notice! So don't sweat the small stuff...and onwards!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Roger

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 17:05:48 PM »
Put her flag every 3rd and make it part of a pattern.

That's just what I was going to suggest...

I was waiting for 'that sounds like a boy solution... all it needs is some impact adhesive...'  -< ;)
A bit of a vintage sewing machine nut! Singers: 500a, 401g, 48k Elnas: lotus SP & grasshopper, Bernina 530-2 F+R 504, Pfaff 30, Cresta T-132

rls1016

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 17:24:35 PM »
Thanks for the ideas - the bunting is going right across the room (5 times, 55m!) to decorate an otherwise slightly dismal community hall so will be very visible indeed.

The fabrics are a variety of toning prints, all with clear right/wrong sides, strung in random order, so hers will be well mixed into the 'proper' ones.
Actually I think impact or spray adhesive is an excellent plan!

Goth Gardiner

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 17:38:01 PM »
So the only difference is that one set of three has visible topstitching?

Have you tried hanging them up at the same height that they will be on the day to see if there is a difference discernible to anyone apart from you? If there is a difference  I would talk to the bride and explain that there is a problem and ask her whether she minds, or can come up with a way of hanging them where the difference won't be obvious. 

If it is a major problem I would ask the bride to provide you with another lot of fabric to make another set.  I certainly wouldn't be un-picking and re-sewing a set. At the very least I'd ask the other two ladies to help.
There's no workman, whatsoever he be, That may both work well and hastily

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 18:13:42 PM »
If you mean she hasn't doubled the fabric so there are 2 "right sides" then spray adhesive seems to be the way to go
Triumph of hope over experience :D

rls1016

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 21:00:35 PM »
That's it, Lowena - hers aren't double sided, just a single piece with unfinished topstitched hems.

Just researching adhesive - anyone got any favourites? Is the cheap Screwfix one any good for fabric (always assuming I keep it away from the top edge so I don't have sticky-needle nightmare when attaching the tape…)

fajita

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 22:49:40 PM »
Wouldn't it be quicker to sew them back to back than to glue them? You're going to have the machine out for the tape anyway.

Maximum

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 22:51:30 PM »
Many quilters use Odif 505 spray to layer their quilts. It is tacky enough to hold fabric to batting but can be repositioned if need be and does not seem to gum up machine needles.

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 23:11:29 PM »
Yeah I'm confused. Can't you just put hers wrong sides together and then stitch back over where she top-stitched?

Catllar

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 19:02:50 PM »
I think you should ask DF, she'll have plenty of bunting related suggestions!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 19:44:36 PM »
None family friendly
C'est moi!

Missie

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 19:47:21 PM »

*snigger*

I'm assuming that you will be attaching them all to a tape?  So why not pair them up the single ones and just sew them into the tape without doing all the top stitching?  No-one will notice.