The Sewing Place

Shipping a tutu

Heikedog

Shipping a tutu
« on: October 16, 2017, 21:09:30 PM »
How?  Flat in a giant box?  Folded in half in a slightly smaller box?  Where do you get boxes of that size?  Needs to be sturdy enough to go through the postal service.

Thanks!

Daisy Jane

Re: Shipping a tutu
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »
Hi Heikedog, I'm based in the UK and post my tutus in a cubed post with the Post Office next day delivery, tracked and signed for sevice. I make sure the sides of the box are the same height as my tutu and because I hoop the skirt, I push the tutu (slightly folded) down so the sides are straight along the sides of the box....if that makes sense. The tutu bounces back no problem when it is removed from the box.  I know other tutu makers who use this method to ship abroad and don't seem to have any problems. The longest a tutu has been in a box was 4 days to Ireland.  Hope this helps.
Lover of tutus and all things sparkly. ......and the odd glass of the red stuff.

Lollipop

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 13:56:54 PM »
How does this work when hooped DaisyJane? Does the box need to be square enough to accommodate the diameter of the hoop?
Was Sewnanny

Daisy Jane

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 19:49:56 PM »
As long as the sides of the box are equal or slightly longer than the skirt the hoop will hold the sides up. You don't need a box the diameter of the hoop as you can fold the tutu slightly. Example is I have a box 14"x14"x14"  and I would fit a 13-14" , skirt tutu into that and send it tracked and signed next day delivery with the post office for £11. A  smaller skirt will fit into a smaller box and bring the price down to around £8-9. I've had no problems with the post office and the delivery is guaranteed before 1pm the next day. Only in the box overnight and the tutu springs into shape when taken out.
Lover of tutus and all things sparkly. ......and the odd glass of the red stuff.

Lollipop

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 20:10:53 PM »
Thanks Jayne, I had an enquiry asking about making tutus for girls in a different part of the country and she asked about shipping. I had to confess that I didn't know what I would do! :P
Was Sewnanny

Daisy Jane

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 20:48:59 PM »
Lollipop, you can send by courier if you wish but to be honest I've had no problem with the PO. You can keep an eye on the tracking and so can your client, I always send the tracking number to them and the tutu is only on the box overnight. xx