The Sewing Place

2 more done...working my way through all the UFO's

rubywishes

2 more done...working my way through all the UFO's
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:36:53 AM »
So a pastel-y quilt for a friend and she has the honour of receiving my first attempt at fm swirls and curls...lucky for me she knows absolutely zilch about quilting so will not notice the rather extraordinary variation in stitch lengths I have going on there in places! :\ :\ But, it's made with love and I think she will like it. I deliberately did an open-ish, sort of old fashioned quilting with it and it has stayed lovely and soft for her to snuggle under on the couch. 
The second quilt is a denim rag quilt for my 3 year old grandson. His sister has a very girlie one and I promised him that if his mummy saved up all of daddys old jeans I would make him a "blokey" one. Bother it, wouldn't you know she did exactly that :angry: and I am here to tell you...this little black duck aint ever going to sew another denim rag quilt..ever!
Anyhoo...both quilts turned out beautifully and I can't wait to see Mr.3year olds' face when he discovers I saved one of the jeans pockets on a patch and so now he has a secret pocket to stash his little cars in! 0_0
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!

Vegegrow

Re: 2 more done...working my way through all the UFO's
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 08:41:43 AM »
lovely Rubes... they look great  and you can't beat a secret hideaway pocket loveit:
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:53:40 AM »
Beautiful stuff Rubes; I thought you'd been quiet recently ...now we know why!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:40:17 AM »
Two lovely quilts there.

I thought you were supposed to have variations in quilting stitch lengths.  I always achieve it. ;)
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 09:56:22 AM »
Congratulations for FMQing an entire quilt.  How did you find the manoeuvring bit?  Your grandson is going to love his quilt especially being made from his dad's jeans with a secret pocket to boot.
Life's too short for ironing.

rubywishes

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:54:59 AM »
Hi Ploshy, manouvering the quilt wasn't too bad, I just did it in quarters. It moved fairly freely....thank goodness as I've lost my slippery slider sheet and my bulldog clips and ironing frame suspension thingy just wouldn't work this time. The Juki doesn't have as big a harp space as my 710 but its' space is taller and I found that for me...height is more important. I can smoosh a lot of bulk converted to "height" through the harp. I actually prefer it to the Bernina.

First, I did a fairly open swirl pattern all over so not only was the quilt more secured but it was also happy to "move as one". Then, once that was done I went back over it, one quarter at a time filling in the open spaces with the curly things where I felt it was needed.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:04:55 PM by rubywishes »
Juki TL2010Q, Juki DX7,  Singers: 1917 27K treadle (aka Gertie), 1957 99k (aka Vincent), 1951 99k knee lever (aka Shirley), 1950 99k handcrank (aka Alice), 1927 28K (aka Dora), 1947 201K treadle with motor conversion (aka Livvy)
....and the dusting and vacuming can wait!