The Sewing Place

Ikea - sewing machine table?

Sewbee

Ikea - sewing machine table?
« on: October 16, 2017, 14:52:35 PM »
I like "real wood" that lasts but it seems it doesn't exist these days for sewing room furniture. I am sure it could be handmade but at a prohibitive cost. So there's Ikea . . .

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/desks/desk-computer-desks/malm-desk-with-pull-out-panel-white-art-70214192/

Mozzy

Re: Ikea - sewing machine table?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 15:13:05 PM »
Have a look at the Alex desks too.  I've just bought two Alex pieces for my sewing room and am happily filling them at the moment.

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 15:17:11 PM »
Have a look at the Alex desks too.  I've just bought two Alex pieces for my sewing room and am happily filling them at the moment.

Alex is also on my list - with drawers off to one side. Actually, Alex was first on my list and then I saw this other one with the pull-out. It's a small room - about 8.5 ft x 9.5 ft.

Does your Alex have a glossy surface or is it matte?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 15:19:41 PM by Sewbee »

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 15:29:51 PM »
I bought a MALM chest of drawers in the early 00's and put it together all by myself!!!!

It was a very robust piece of furniture and went to my niece when we moved .... I think it was a good piece of furniture. At the moment I have several pieces of  Trofast, a tall storage unit in pine with plastic boxes for fabric by colour, and a horizontal wall hung mini Trofast for notions, bits and bobs.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewbee

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 15:39:52 PM »
I bought a MALM chest of drawers in the early 00's and put it together all by myself!!!!

It was a very robust piece of furniture and went to my niece when we moved .... I think it was a good piece of furniture. At the moment I have several pieces of  Trofast, a tall storage unit in pine with plastic boxes for fabric by colour, and a horizontal wall hung mini Trofast for notions, bits and bobs.

The fake oak desk that was moved out to refloor and paint the room was a Malm desk, Imi. Very heavy!! I didn't put it together, though. The person who put it together missed half the screws and when the laminate installer took it apart he pointed it out. Needless to say when the new stuff goes in he's coming back to put it together, as well as to do a few other things. I just have to look at a page of Ikea instructions and it's like a deer in headlights! Good for you putting that together!

Imi, that small set of Trofast tubs is perfect for notions!

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 16:01:56 PM »
Take a look at the IKEA craft room hacks.

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 16:16:27 PM »
Take a look at the IKEA craft room hacks.

Good grief! I though I'd read them all but this link is new!! Thank you!

Mozzy

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 16:55:43 PM »
The Alex is matte white.  Going to have a look at those hacks although I have been looking already on Pinterest.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 17:06:46 PM »
Am I the only one who really enjoys putting Ikea furniture together?  0_0
I must have a look at some of your suggestions for furniture for my soon-to-be-built sewing room.

Sewbee

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 17:10:57 PM »
I must have a look at some of your suggestions for furniture for my soon-to-be-built sewing room.

OMG!! Another one!!! I get my skates on when I see Ikea instructions! Aaaagghhh!

Acorn

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 17:35:30 PM »

Mr Acorn loves all kinds of self-assembly.  In fact he gets very disappointed when things come ready assembled.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Francesca

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 20:49:32 PM »
OMG!! Another one!!! I get my skates on when I see Ikea instructions! Aaaagghhh!

I hated it until I bought an electric drill/screwdriver. I have put together many an IKEA piece by hand though, blisters on the palms is no fun!

Sewbee

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2017, 21:10:26 PM »
I hated it until I bought an electric drill/screwdriver. I have put together many an IKEA piece by hand though, blisters on the palms is no fun!

Hah! Now that you mention it, I remember feeling as if I could conquer the world when I bought my electric drill/screwdriver in America. I ought to consider buying one here. They are very handy.

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2017, 21:29:39 PM »
I don't mind assembling flatpack furniture, but the bigger items require two people.  My sister and me put together this

IKEA sideboard.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2017, 21:44:06 PM »
In the past, I have put wardrobes together on my own - it was interesting when it came to the stand it up bit...