The Sewing Place

Charity shop find 2 : Bernina 830 Record

Barnyard

Charity shop find 2 : Bernina 830 Record
« on: October 16, 2017, 15:55:20 PM »
I got a call today from a local charity shop and they had a Bernina come in and would I be interested? Well of course I was and I was there pronto. It is a stunning condition 830 Record and going by the serial it is one of the later models with the serial beginning 21 (1981)? Anyhow this is not without complications as there  is no foot control or extension table. I managed to grab a very good condition table from the Bay for £25 and I am now on the lookout for a suitable foot control.
There are genuine Bernina items on ebay but they are quite expensive and I would be horrified if the machine didnt work after buying a new control.
I really cannot believe how clean this machine is, not one bit of lint or fluff anywhere! The carry case too is in excellent condition and very clean.
The question now is how do I test it without the foot control???

Pics to follow!

Barny

Sewbee

Re: Charity shop find 2 : Bernina 830 Record
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 16:01:27 PM »
Good for you, Barney! Hope it sews beautifully!

I've been looking at the older sewing cabinets on eBay, too, but the ones I like were built for Singers, New Home or Jones machines and I'm not sure my Bernina would fit. They don't have the storage the newer cabinets have but some are so pretty.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 22:53:41 PM by Sewbee »

arrow

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 16:32:51 PM »
If the price is righ go for it, especially if you have been on the look for one and it's a machine that will be used. Pedals can be found and if they don't have any electronic functions like pedal up-down replacement is easier. The extention table can take a while, but they turn up eventually. I were given one for a 730, it was wrong for her model and mine had a broken metal part under, (which I later glued). I never use the extention table on my freearm machines, probably because I have a 201 in a table.  Genuine Bernina tables and cabinets tend to be a bit expensive. The last one I saw was with a 730 Record, and was solid teak, with a modern 60s design. It had this lift up action and would lower into the table and become a flatbed. If there's little wear to the paint on these models you can be sure it's a lightly used machine, it scratches easily.

Barnyard

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 16:57:27 PM »
Here it is in all it's sparkling glory!

Barny

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 17:01:42 PM »
You obviously have your charity shops well trained, Barny.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Barnyard

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 17:22:41 PM »
They cannot sell untested electricals and it often just is not worth the time and effort for them. They also know nothing of sewing machines and I take the bad as well as the good stuff so they do not have to go to any expense in desposing of them. I do pay for them and if I sell one on they also get a percentage of the sale so it's a bit of a win win situation for all.
I must say though, this is by far the best one I have had from them!

Barny

arrow

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 18:02:03 PM »
It's the electronic version and I think it has some fancy functions in the pedal movements. It means you have to double check it and track down a correct pedal. Some report back they can use a generic  replacement pedal on the 830 with out any trouble, others have ended up with major speed issues which an original Bernina pedal solved. The machine itself looks close perfect and not much used at all. My laptop keyboard is dirtier and needs a good cleaning  :P

Barnyard

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 23:34:20 PM »
You are quite right about the foot control arrow and I have ordered a genuine Bernina replacement. This machine is in such amazing condition it would be sacrilege not to pair it up with a genuine replacement. Duly ordered this morning and it and the table should be arriving on Thursday... Along with 5 genuine Bernina bobbins.

I must admit I am quite excited having given the machine a stripdown and lube. Everything points in the direction of it being a fully working machine. The motor was so clean it looks like new the belts are perfect and I am just hoping that once power is applied, my gut feelings of it being a perfect running machine are correct.

I do need some advice though. It only came with the 000 Zig Zag presser foot and I really would like to add a few extra feet but at the prices I have been looking at for genuine Bernina ones make me gulp! I wish I had kept the feet from the Nova 900  :'(
I have seen an adaptor(s) that can be used and I quite like the idea of adding a snap on version. There is a low shank version too. Has anyone used one? Can you reccommend one and where to get both the adaptor and a selection of feet in the UK?

If all goes well this is the machine my daughter will get. She is using and enjoying the old Brother "Westminster" I restored for her but she did ask for a Bernina... Or should I keep quiet and have it for myself???  :angel:

Barny

Elnnina

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
Oh what an excellent find.  Why not try Bogod (Bernina) down in Cardiff, this is Bernina’s warehouse.  The ladies there are extremely helpful, and it is more than likely that they can advise you as to whether the part you need is available, or perhaps give you the part number of the piece you are looking for and that will make it easier to try and track down.  Bogod’s details in Cardiff are:  Bogod Machine Company, Fortran Road, St. Mellons, Cardiff  CF3 0WJ  phone 029 2079 2079.  The Cardiff warehouse should also be able to tell you what feet are still available for this machine, and yes they are expensive, so here is a suggestion.  If you can manage to find some feet that are suitable for this machine, then why not give these as Christmas and birthday presents to your daughter, - that is how I have built up my collection of feet for both my old 830 Record and also my much newer Bernina Artista 200 – in fact this has suited my family very well, as they know I will enjoy using these feet/accessories, and for me personally it is far better than chocolates or flowers, and of course I will use them.  The ladies names at Cardiff are Rachel, Jackie or Georgia.

Back to the 830 Record, this really is a super machine and at the time it was made this was the one machine that Bernina actually got 100% right, hence you will probably see that these machines go for quite high prices second hand.

I had an elderly friend who has since passed away, and she had this machine, and was selling this, all was working well until the day she was showing this to a prospective buyer and then the foot control would not work, she took this to a dealer who was able to supply her either with a new foot control or was able to repair.

I actually have an ordinary 830 Record from 1975, (was my mother’s) and it is a lovely machine, it quietly purrs along and the stitches are superb.  The instruction book is extremely well laid out and easy to follow, and if you are thinking that you are going to give this to your daughter (foot control willing) then I have no doubt she will be delighted and of course whilst parts are still available or via broken down machine parts sold off this should hold its value.

Fingers crossed that this machine will work a treat for you.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:25:36 AM »
Gosh what a wonderful find, well done!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

It's an 'electronic', so that means it needs a Type 232 (#325.232.04) foot controller, an electronic one?

The earlier 830s took a Type 213 (#325.213.14) foot controller, the non-electronic one; I think the 232s will work with the earlier 830s but you must remove the 'max/min' speed slider/button connections.

I have heard of people using generic foot controllers with their 830 electronics, and have been unhappy with them.

You can get adapter shanks which will work with low shank presser feet. Bernina made the original ones, but they are scarce now. There are generic ones that are available that are made in China. I have one that I purchased several years ago and once I started using it I realised that it was very very slightly off-centre; I had to grind down one side of the shank on an oil stone and now it fits perfectly.
The seller from whom I made the purchase told me 'they are all like that'.

In the meantime thanks so much for posting about this Barny, it has made my day, as I do love vintage berninas 
 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 11:36:53 AM by Madame Cholet »

arrow

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
Remember you need the old type feet, and it's easy to get it wrong when buying from the web. I have noticed collections of Bernina feet on ebay now and then, they turn up at more reasonable prices, but you probably have to be a bit patient and keep and eye out for it. Earlier this summer there were a set of feet for an 830 on a local acution site, if you are lucky something will turn up before chrismas.

Samantha

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 12:20:28 PM »
Wow what a great charity shop find!

Barnyard

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 16:48:31 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. I have been looking on ebay and other places to see if I can get a set of snap on feet and an adaptor but they all seem to be listed for Brother and Singer machines and I am not sure they will fit even with the Bernina snap on adaptor fpr older machines. Anyhow, both the brand new foot control, new bobbins and the bed/table arrived today. I must say I was somewhat fearful of plugging the machine in and being devastated that it was dead.

Well...

It runs sweet as a nut. PHEW!!

I think I have been very fortunate considering the machine, new Bernina foot control, replacement bed and 5 Bernina bobbins has cost me the princely sum of just under £120.  :) :D

Barny

Madame Cholet

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 16:56:17 PM »
The snap-on adapter for older Berninas, as in one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bernina-Compatible-Adaptor-Presser-Foot-SNAP-ON-SHANK-Holder-For-Old-Style-/272348405586?hash=item3f693adf52:g:1oQAAOSwIQdZN-GX

will break your needle!

(Ask me how I know this....)

Sole plates - unless they are bona fide Bernina ones*, which differ from widely-available sole plate feet for every other sewing machine going - site the needle hole in totally the wrong position.

You can get a Chinese low-shank adapter, to fit to the Bernina-shank adapter, which will take non-Bernina sole plates, but this is a bit of a faff solution, tbh imo (I have one).

The basic feet, that is the ones that will have originally come with the machine, are relatively common, and you can often buy them on ebay for around a fiver each. If I get chance later I will cobble together some Bernina foot info, which you might find useful  :)

*which I have never seen in the flesh, and cost £££s
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 17:06:05 PM by Madame Cholet »

Barnyard

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 17:11:36 PM »
Madame. That is exactly the one I was looking at so thank you for the info. I shall save my pennies and will not be getting one now.
Please don't go out of your way but any help would be greatly appreciated.  <3

Now to find something to sew  :P

Barny