The Sewing Place

Charity shop find 2 : Bernina 830 Record

arrow

Re: Charity shop find 2 : Bernina 830 Record
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 18:16:22 PM »
I once had a very flimsy snap of foot set. I can't really recommend it. I mostly use the standard zigzag foot, the zipper foot, and always track down a darning foot even if I only free motion on my old flad bed Singer. If it was me I would buy the basic feet needed even if they cost a bit and keep my eye out for a set of accessories from an old machine. I know some have bought the adaptor and use it a lot, but I think it is for particular attachments and accessories they already have.

Madame Cholet

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 22:36:29 PM »
The 10 presser feet which would have been included as standard with the 830 are as follows:

000       zigzag               0
470       overlock            2
452       buttonhole         3
007       zipper                4
016       blind stitch         5
030       embroidery        6
419       tailor tacking      7
285       darning              9   
168       hemmer            68
003       lap hemmer       70

The first 3 digit number of each row is the original number designation, which was stamped on the top of the front of the foot shank. In later years Bernina changed the numbers on newer feet to the number in the third column. Things get even more confusing when you learn that the same feet, supplied with earlier Bernina machines, often did not have any numbers stamped on them at all.  :S

The 'old' style feet have 2 prongs visible at the top front of each foot; old feet fit Bernina models up to the 1130 (iirc- but it's late so don't quote me on that lol).

'New' style feet have no prongs, just a flat front 'lip' at the top front of each foot, and fit newer Berninas.

These feet are not interchangeable - the new feet will not fit the old machines, and vice versa.

(Incidentally, the 'old' feet can be split into 2 types - those with a 'thick' pair of prongs, and those with a 'thin' pair of prongs.
The thick prongers are 'older' old style, while the thin prongers are 'newer' old style....!  :S
But they would both fit the 830).

Confused yet? lol  :S

The 'old' style feet can still be purchased new (-they will be 'new' old style, with thinner prongs...) from Bernina dealers, as the modern (mechanical) 1008 machines still take that style of foot. Expect to pay on average upwards of £30 for a brand new foot.

Personally I would say that the most important feet would be:
1. zigzag
2. overlock
3. buttonhole
4. zipper, and
5. darning (-which can be used for feed dogs down/free motion sewing too).

A set of these 5 feet would be an excellent start to your daughter's Bernina foot collection, and possibly would be all she would need for now.
...Although please someone chime in here if you know what she would need specifically for the content of her sewing course... I don't know what the course comprises, and I'm just going on what I use most with my sewing.

There are gazillions of Bernina feet out there, the scope of the range is astonishing.
If you begin to collect them, you may develop an obsession for them, and be unable to stop...  :P

Also make sure the bobbins you buy are the right size; the old genuine Bernina bobbins always had a 'BB' stamped on them. Helen Howes has a few of these for sale on her website, at £1.50 each I think.

Generic bobbins that fit have 7 holes on the round ends. I have not had to buy new bobbins but from what I have heard the quality of the generic bobbins can be pretty ghastly, and they can damage the hook and race, so it may be best contacting a Bernina dealer to see what they recommend, that is if you need extra bobbins.

Plus you will need a Bernina needle unscrewing tool; they are the little black things. I can post a pic if you need to see one though.
Actually I meant to post some pics of the feet, but I ended up photographing the wrong ones... duh... so I'll do that another time.

Barny - I have more .pdfs of info and pics of Bernina feet, as well as the 830 user manual (-which has excellent instructions for each foot originally supplied with it), and also the 830 service manual.
If you pm me your email I will send them along to you, as well as the the other manual I have for you  :)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 12:38:33 PM by Madame Cholet »

arrow

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 22:59:05 PM »
I was a bit hasty there, I forgot about buttonholer foot and a couple of hemmer feet I use. I have thought about an over cast foot for my Elna, but I haven't found one yet. I don't know how important and overlock foot would be on an 830, it doesn't have overlock type stiches like the 930. A functioning low shank adaptor would be nice for a buttonholer attachment.

Barnyard

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 23:18:29 PM »
Confused yet? lol  :S

Yup! Well I was, that is until you so eloquently explained the situation. I have ditched the idea of snap on and low shank feet and instead will over time gather together genuine Bernina feet and as Elninia said add to them for presents, if not for my daughter then for me!

Whilst tonight reading all the posts several times over I have had a moment of clarity. My daughter, love her as much as I do, is only just beginning with her sewing. The Brother "Westminster" I restored for now will suffice for her needs. Should she develop and blossom and really enjoy her sewing then I will offer her this stunning piece of Swiss engineering. I see no real advantage of her taking it right now and would rather keep it safe and let her make her mistakes on something that is easier to replace.
This machine is for many, a machine of a lifetime. I would agree. I enjoyed my Nova 900 and did regret selling it. This however is as Carsberg would say Probably the best sewing machine in the world. It seems that everything is just right. Nothing sticks (clutch), blows (mobo /capacitor) or breaks. In this machine they got it 100% right.

It is a keeper to go alongside my 15k and my 221k.

Madame. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to help me. Truly it is appreciated  <3

It is good helpful people like all of you that take time to reply and help that makes life so much better and I thank each and every one of you.

PM Incoming!

Barny

Madame Cholet

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 23:43:00 PM »
I was a bit hasty there, I forgot about buttonholer foot and a couple of hemmer feet I use. I have thought about an over cast foot for my Elna, but I haven't found one yet. I don't know how important and overlock foot would be on an 830, it doesn't have overlock type stiches like the 930. A functioning low shank adaptor would be nice for a buttonholer attachment.

I have never got the hang of the hemmer feet  :S :S :S
I need much more practice I think, and they are feet I have always wanted to master.

The 830 does what Bernina call an overlock stitch:
Snipped from manual:

You can get away with the zigzag presser foot for the more ornamental stitches. The embroidery foot has a hole for thin cord to be passed through it, for couching, but unless you wish to do that imo the zigzag foot is more than adequate.

I have tried my Greist buttonholer with my 530 Record, 807, 910, and 930 Berninas, and the only one it would work with was the 530 Record... and I use the term 'work' very loosely, as it was really difficult to fit.
I could only fit it on if I first attached the low shank adapter to the bernina, and only then attach the buttonholer to the shank adaptor. As well as this I had to unscrew and remove the buttonholer plastic cover, and also tie the presser foot lever up out of the way with a piece of string! (Obviously the presser foot was down, but I had to tie the 'slack' out of the way, or it would strike against the buttonholer).

On my other 807, 910 and 930 Berninas, and using a low shank adapter, the buttonholer would foul on/strike various parts of the needle bar and needle clamp.

I have heard of people using Greist-type buttonholers on a 930, but mine would have caused damage. Perhaps a different 'style' was used.

I eventually purchased my bargain Singer 201 purely so I could use my Greist buttonholer  :)

I have not tried the Greist buttonholers with my Berninas 717, 840, or 830.
If I ever do, I shall report back with my findings  :)

I don't know if a Singer buttonholer would fit or not, or whether parts would strike the needle bar/needle clamp.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:05:57 AM by Madame Cholet »

Madame Cholet

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 00:13:17 AM »
This machine is for many, a machine of a lifetime. I would agree. I enjoyed my Nova 900 and did regret selling it. This however is as Carsberg would say Probably the best sewing machine in the world. It seems that everything is just right. Nothing sticks (clutch), blows (mobo /capacitor) or breaks. In this machine they got it 100% right.

Yes I agree wholeheartedly!
(And you are very welcome btw  :))
I shall email those manuals etc to you - enjoy!  :)

arrow

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 11:23:42 AM »
Things can happen to an 830 too, but it's one of the best. The main difference to the earlier models are the dial selection buttons, the internals are other wise about the same. The stitch patterns are a bit different, but much the same there too. If you look down under the hood on a 830 and 730 record you will see exactly the same internals. The 930 were a bit more electronic, had a stretchy stitches and stronger motor. Sometimes I wonder where reputations come from, but the 830 certainly has a good one.

Sewbee

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 16:13:06 PM »
Barney:

Were you looking for a Bernina shank adapter for your new machine? There's one on eBay. It's a new listing.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bernina-Sewing-Machine-Adaptor-Shank-Set/182850881751?hash=item2a92c308d7:g:1KMAAOSwXxhZ7g9W

Barnyard

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 20:24:49 PM »
Thank you for the heads up Sewbee. I actually got one today. It came with a Toyota 6800 that I got once again from the charity shop. As yet I have not tried it as I spent most of the day cleaning and servicing the Toyota.

Alas the Bernina is destined for a new home  :( My car failed it's MOT and the cost of new disks and pads on every wheel is quite shocking! So reluctant to part with it but transport right now has a higher priority. :(

I also got the low shank adaptor to play with as I have a plethora of Singer attachments and was looking forward to trying some of them.

Gutted to let her go but needs must  :'(

Barny

b15erk

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 09:18:44 AM »
Barney, so sorry to hear that your lovely machine has to go, but your brakes are essential.  Hope you get a good price for it.

I've just inherited my darling aunt's sewing machine, which is also a Toyota, although I don't know which model it is.  I've brought it to work this morning to have a look at it, and give it a clean.  It looks straightforward enough.

Hope your car is soon safe.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.