The Sewing Place

Necessary quilting tools

Sewbee

Necessary quilting tools
« on: October 21, 2017, 17:08:42 PM »
When I attended a quilt show recently I decided I had a new hobby.  :D I bought some fabric in a precut  set, stabiliser, gluing tool, thread, narrow ruler with quarter inch marking on it on one edge, small rotary cutter and a plastic hexagon template. Is there anything else I need? I'd hate to get started and find out I don't have a key piece of equipment!  0_0

I thought about Omnigrid rulers but I don't know what size(s) to get - and/or more plastic templates?

Kenora

Re: Necessary quilting tools
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 17:32:14 PM »
It depends on what you want to make, and what style of quilting you want to do.

In theory, you could make a quilt with only fabric, a needle and thread, and a pair of scissors, but a sewing machine makes it much faster :vintage: - although not necessarily better. :D

When I first started quilting I had very little specific quilting equipment but soon found out what I needed as I went along. As you've bought glue and templates it sounds as though you might have something specific in mind?

Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Sewbee

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 17:35:42 PM »
It depends on what you want to make, and what style of quilting you want to do.

In theory, you could make a quilt with only fabric, a needle and thread, and a pair of scissors, but a sewing machine makes it much faster :vintage: - although not necessarily better. :D

When I first started quilting I had very little specific quilting equipment but soon found out what I needed as I went along. As you've bought glue and templates it sounds as though you might have something specific in mind?

I do have a sewing machine. I forgot to mention that.  ;)

I didn't realise there were different types of quilting. Now I am intrigued!

I went to a beginners workshop at the quilt show. The instructor showed how to make a hexagon on the sewing machine with stabiliser and then she should a mini quilt of lots of little hexagons stitched together. Of course, now that I am thinking of getting started I feel a bit lost.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 19:59:05 PM by Sewbee »

fajita

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 18:07:11 PM »
Have you had a nosey around The Dark Side. Iminei kindly posted a quilt tutorial for beginners. Might be worth perusing.

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1574.0.html

Deafoldbat

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 19:07:30 PM »
There is more to P&Q than hexagons, for which I have never had the patience - but each to their own.
Have a look at the BoMs and so on and then when you're ready (or even before!) we'll lead you down the primrose path...heh!heh!

Ellabella

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 22:24:39 PM »
You have got a cutting mat haven't you?

Rotary cutters can make an awful mess of your dining table.

Templates are something you can manage without, certainly at the beginning. The simple shapes you need to start with can be cut with a ruler.

I would say a cutting mat, a rotary cutter and a 6 x 24 ruler with clear markings are your best starting point. Oh and some fabric of course.

Best of luck, you will soon be addicted.  There are lots of good tutorials around, there are ones on here, also YouTube. Craftsy has some free ones to get you started.

This place is a fantastic knowledge base.

:ninja: Welcome to the Dark Side :ninja:
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 14:15:51 PM by Iminei »

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 22:48:15 PM »
Hexagons are mainly used in hand sewn patchwork, using papers. For machine patchwork you need a ruler, rotary cutter, self heal mat and a machine. Start with squares and rectangles until you get the hang of piecing. Try to get a 1/4 seam and away you go. Look at the tutorials, BOMs and ask any questions you might have.... and... enjoy  :ninja:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 00:08:14 AM »
I agree with Lowena that hexagons are usually done by hand - and the usual way is to use paper templates.  I've never heard of using stabiliser, though I suppose you could use stabiliser instead of paper templates and then just leave it there.

If you are thinking of doing machine patchwork then a quilting ruler together with a rotary cutter and self healing mat are the basics.  The most useful size ruler is 24" x 6" because it's long enough to go right across a fat quarter or a length of fabric (folded in half) cut from the bolt, but of course you need to have a cutting mat long enough to use the full length of the ruler.  Other shape/sizes of ruler can be added as and when. 

The plastic hexi template you mentioned is probably intended more for use in drawing paper and fabric hexagons which are then cut with scissors.

To be pedantic, the original question was about quilting tools and all the replies have been about patchwork tools!  For quilting you need a needle and thread or a sewing machine.

If you do machine quilting a walking foot is a useful extra for quilting in straight lines.  For free motion quilting you need an embroidery/darning foot.  For hand quilting you might like to acquire a few plastic templates which you can draw the designs through onto your fabric.

Between making the patchwork and doing the quilting you need to make your "sandwich" which consists of patchwork top, a layer of wadding (batting) and the backing.  To hold the sandwich together you need either needle and thread, a box or three of curved quilting safety pins, or a can of 505 adhesive.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 13:40:11 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 09:31:41 AM »

I thought about Omnigrid rulers but I don't know what size(s) to get - and/or more plastic templates?
One side thought.
Omnigrid are not the only rulers - although they were the ones I started with as the shop that ran the beginners class I went to sold them.

Personally I find the markings on Creative Grids rulers easier to see

and the rulers can be used for far more things than just patchwork.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »
I like Creative Grid rulers too.
Brenda is right.... I hand quilt and began with straight lines ( 24" x 6" ruler again ) I now have a few basic plastic templates which allow me to do even curves, petals etc. I do Big Stitch Quilting, so I also need perle ( no8 ) thread and a longer needle than is usual.

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 13:00:07 PM »
Have you had a nosey around The Dark Side. Iminei kindly posted a quilt tutorial for beginners. Might be worth perusing.

http://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,1574.0.html

Yes. I have not forgotten that but got lost half way through when it came to placing and measuring the squares. :( Once I get my sewing room finished I'll have another look because I do need/want to learn. I already bought sets of fabric in nice colours and designs to try it out.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 20:26:34 PM by Sewbee »

Lowena

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 14:01:01 PM »
We will be more than willing to talk you through the process step by step Sewbee  :ninja:

Sewbee

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 20:28:11 PM »
We will be more than willing to talk you through the process step by step Sewbee  :ninja:

Thank you, Lowena. I know I will need it.  -<

Sewbee

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 14:21:54 PM »
Before I came down with the flu last week, I had lunch with some old university friends. One is an avid quilter and the other a beginner, like me; however, she brought along her first two projects. One was a cushion cover in squares - solid backgrounds intermingled with squares of little snowmen. Her second project was a table runner done in strips that were not quite rectangular. I've been watching a few videos about quilting squares so I think I'm getting ready to begin, once I feel better.

I've been looking for a Creative Grid starter set of rulers but there's nothing on Amazon . I went to Creative Grid's website and couldn't find one but I did find this - a page of rulers that confused me more.

http://www.creativegrids.com/acatalog/Non_Slip_Rulers.html

Can anyone tell me where I can find a starter set. Or, perhaps I need to buy each ruler separately? (I thought starter packs had three.)

Also what size rotary cutter is best?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 16:54:34 PM by Sewbee »

Pearl

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 16:40:41 PM »
Hope you're feeling better soon, Sewbee.

I've never heard of a starter set of rulers.  A 6 1/2" by 24 1/2" rectangle is probably the most useful to begin with.  Next I bought a 12 1/2" square which is useful for squaring up blocks as well as cutting.  I have several others but use these two most.

I have a 45mm Olfa rotary cutter, which I use most of the time and a 28mm Clover to use with templates.