The Sewing Place

Where do missing pattern pieces go?

sewmuchmore

Where do missing pattern pieces go?
« on: October 16, 2017, 18:24:24 PM »
Spent this afternoon cutting out another duffel coat, as i was using 2 bits of left over corduroy it took ages to work out layout so i got it all running the right way. I checked and double checked i had all the pieces needed (40 groan) yep ok. Lets get it all pinned down, but hang on where it the back hem facing? i cannot believe it, the pattern piece has only gone walkabout. I know it was there. Checked the floor, the pattern envelope, the floor again and the envelope again. Nope definitely no where in sight.  :'(  :'(
Had to draft the piece, thank goodness it was only the hem facing and nothing major.
I wonder if it has joined all the odd socks that never come out of the washing machine.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

jen

Re: Where do missing pattern pieces go?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 19:30:59 PM »
It might be in that envelope I have labelled 'odd pattern pieces'.  :D

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 20:22:50 PM »
The last time I lost a small pattern piece it reappeared several days later under the bed.  For some reason I was cutting out on the floor of the spare bedroom overflow work room which houses a single bed with another bed underneath which are used if grandchildren sleep over.  The next time the second bed was pulled out the pattern piece came with it.  When I compared it to the self-drafted replacement piece the two were remarkably similar  0_0
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 22:52:49 PM »
I thought I'd lost a pattern piece when cutting out the Ottobre dress. The back skirt was there in the envelope, but not the front. After a few minutes panic, thinking I'd have to retrace the piece, I checked the instructions. Yep, back skirt and front skirt were one and the same beast! Phew. I've written it on the piece now.

Tamnymore

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:46:26 AM »
I think we sometimes accidentally throw away teeny weeny pattern pieces with the bits of tissue paper left over from cutting out the patternn. Either that or there's a pattern gremlin who nicks them!
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 09:22:05 AM »
Yes, Tammymore.  I cut out on the kitchen / dining table so rubbish goes in the kitchen bin.  I never put foody stuff in the bin but I still have to rummage through some dubious bin stuff to look for missing pieces.
Life's too short for ironing.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 10:43:12 AM »
Even more mysterious, in my box of patterns is a collar piece for a Misses size 10, but I don't recognise the number.  It's certainly not among any of the patterns I have and I don't remember it (which doesn't mean much).
Has anyone here lost one?  :P
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

So Chic

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 11:21:12 AM »
I don't just lose pattern pieces, I lose the pattern itself.  I seem to spend hours looking for a pattern I know I have and then it turns up when I have bought a replacement or used another pattern that isn't quite what I wanted.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

dolcevita

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
I thought I'd lost a pattern piece when cutting out the Ottobre dress. The back skirt was there in the envelope, but not the front. After a few minutes panic, thinking I'd have to retrace the piece, I checked the instructions. Yep, back skirt and front skirt were one and the same beast! Phew. I've written it on the piece now.

I almost did exactly the same!  I realised just before I was about to trace the piece again when I was looking in the instructions to identify which piece I needed. 

SkoutSews

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 13:12:09 PM »
Nice to know I'm not alone!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 13:29:49 PM »
My first point of search these days is Toby the Thug's bottom. He insists on helping me cut out patterns and previously I have found a facing piece stuck to my last cat, Minstrel's rear end.  Why is tissue paper a cat magnet??