The Sewing Place

Butterick 5566 - Consistency on sizing

Gernella

Butterick 5566 - Consistency on sizing
« on: October 23, 2017, 15:15:48 PM »
Monday is usually a good day for sewing and with a bit of rain last week and not going out I've done well.  I'm making Butterick 5566.

http://www.sewdirect.com/acatalog/Butterick-5566.html

I've had it for a bit and was looking for something I'd not done in skirts for winter and with some stretch denim this seemed ideal.  I'm roughly a 14 (in some parts) going on 16 in others so for skirts err on caution with the waist.  I've only ever done one other Butterick skirt and even with caution finished up having to let the seams out.  Since I've lost some weight I did size 14, pinned and tried on.  I'd pinned on the outside first and it looked a bit big but not much so I turned the right way round and pinned again, taking a bit more off.

It looked huge on me and I've not lost that much weight round the hips and stomach.  In the end I've machine tacked on the inside of the pins and finished up with ginormous seams that I'm going to have to overlock again to cut off.  Mind you it does fit nicely now.

I just wish they would be all consistent on sizing.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

sewmuchmore

Re: Butterick 5566 - Consistency on sizing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 17:31:22 PM »
I find that Vogue skirt patterns are very often different. I can make a 16 in vogue 9031 but for for 7910 it is a size 20.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet