The Sewing Place

Options for window dressing

Puzzler

Options for window dressing
« on: October 24, 2017, 07:22:55 AM »
Hi all

I haven’t been very active on here lately due to some major life changes. I just moved into a rented property to find the last tenants have taken all the curtain tracks and poles. I’m currently deciding on what to put up at each window and this bedroom window will be a challenge due to where it sits in the wall, i.e. very close to the corner at one side. I’m considering an asymmetrical curtain. What do you people think?

Ploshkin

Re: Options for window dressing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 07:54:10 AM »
I've got a window in an identical position.  I've got a standard pair of curtains on a wooden pole  but left the finial off so the pole butts up against the wall. The bracket for that end is about an inch from the wall so there is room for one ring between the bracket and wall.
Life's too short for ironing.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Like Ploshkin I had a window in just that position too. I found that as long as the fabric wasn't too bulky it was fine having two standard curtains. I did use tiebacks to hold them as clear of the window as possible. With mine, the radiator extended quite a long way to the left of the window so long curtains didn't work but yours would be fine either long or sill length.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »
My bedroom window has even less wall on one side - the adjacent wall goes straight to the window.  I have a standard pair of curtains on a track - which touches the ajacent wall one end and extends past the window by several inches on the other end and it looks OK.

I see that you have a cupboard door on the problem side, so presumably you need to get into that so maybe one large asymetrical curtain would be the solution.  Make it floor length and with plenty of width so that when it's hooked open there is enough fabric to drape nicely.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Vegegrow

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 09:16:06 AM »
My first thought was a roman blind.. as Brenda says if you need to open that cupboard door completely it can't be anything too bulky
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 10:25:44 AM »
Could you go with a blind, and then if you want a bit of softness, a single non-functioning curtain that is attached all along the top but drawn back to the left and tied, so that the right hand side of the window is unobstructed by fabric?

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »
My sewing room has a similar window with white horizontal blinds (Venetian?) there are no curtains there and I am considering making some curtains for it. My window has about 3 feet either side of it, though. Perhaps some sort of pull down blind would be best since it juts almost up against the wall. Or, use Venetian blinds with a nice gathered window topper that you could sew.

Puzzler

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 19:50:56 PM »
Hmmm. Lots to consider. Yes, that's a closet door with wonderful storage space behind it. There's a similar one in the upstairs hall that currently houses four of my machines. I'll be setting up the sewing room soon. I have to, don't I? Must sew my curtains and blinds in there. 

For this window I thought of a blind, not a Roman, but a roller. I had a Venetian in my last house with a pole above that I never did make curtains for.  I'd still like the softness of a curtain though. I have to watch what I spend as the home is temporary. The landlord said he'd contribute to the cost of the fittings. I don't intend to take those when I leave. I don't want to spend heavily on fabric, either. So glad I can create furnishings myself.

I'm also in a quandary about all the different tracks and poles out there. Do I go fixed, extendable, steel track, aluminium track? I've been researching and reading different reviews but I'm still undecided.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 21:09:02 PM »
I got extendable metal poles for my living room which made life easy as I could have them just the right size.  But ... when closing the curtains the rings won't slide over the join in the pole.  I have to stand on a chair to draw the French window one and on the arm of the sofa for the other window  :S
They slide open just fine.
Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 21:50:27 PM »
I've just bought a curtain pole.  The advice of DD, who makes curtains professionally, was to go for a one piece pole because it's stronger, and to get brackets like this, but not like this as they bend.

A one piece pole can be cut to the exact length required with a hack-saw or one of the twisty things used for cutting water pipes if it's a metal pole, or with a tenon saw if it's a wooden one. 

Another thing she told me is that as well as having one ring between the bracket and the finial on each side, put a ring onto the bracket itself - at right angles to the other rings, parallel to the wall.  That means that the edge of the curtain can be taken right back to the wall and held in position.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.

Puzzler

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 18:23:09 PM »
Ploshkin, that's what reviewers say about extendable poles.

Brenda, that's really useful advice about the brackets. Will keep that in mind in my quest for a reasonably priced pole. I must stop dithering and just get on it.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 22:43:08 PM »
We finally got my pole up this evening; which means that tomorrow I can measure properly and do the calculations for the spacing of the pleats.

Vegegrow

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 08:38:21 AM »
We finally got my pole up this evening; which means that tomorrow I can measure properly and do the calculations for the spacing of the pleats.
ahhh sums.. but your good at those Brenda
"The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary." ~Mary Kurtz

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 23:41:25 PM »
You wouldn't have thought so this morning the number of times I pinned and then moved the pins :pin:

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 10:11:20 AM »
Imself ran our dining room curtain pole straight into the boxing that comes down alongside of the wall and it works well...

but very interested about the "attach a hook to the bracket at a right angle to bring the curtain back to the wall" thing. I just might try that!

BTW Please excuse the mess in our back yard ... Imself says he will clear it all up one day (Methinks hes going to need a skip in the end)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 07:44:14 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again