The Sewing Place

Drops 'Sea Nymph' Top down sweater

b15erk

Drops 'Sea Nymph' Top down sweater
« on: October 24, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »
Well, what can I say?  Problems, problems, problems....

https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=7357&cid=17

I've not done much circular knitting, or working with charts, but I'm not a novice, and thought I could cope with this - especially after reading the Ravelry reviews - some people even said it was easy.  Made me feel totally inadequate.  :(

After one failed start, I began again, and was getting on well, until the weekend.  Then I took my eye off the ball, and one of the lace sleeves went totally awry.  By this time I was up to 300+ stitches which had to be unpicked one stitch at a time....

Finished, and back to where I was, and I've now encountered yet another problem.  While concentrating on the sleeves, I lost track of the body stitch count.... 

Don't know how it happened, but I've ended up with the correct number of stitches on the sleeves, but two sizes up on the body.  What to do?

I'm not unpicking again, that is for sure. Just not sure how it happened, or how much too big this is going to end up....

The mad thing is, I still love the pattern.

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Drops 'Sea Nymph' Top down sweater
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
You could perhaps do a bit of "cut and sew" if it turns out too big??

b15erk

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 12:24:04 PM »
It turned out to be a bit more radical than that B&S, I've had to unravel it right back to the neck.... :o :'(

I made the mistake of using someone else's instructions for the increases on the raglan as the Drops ones are not very clear.  Turns out the increases I was using, were double that of the pattern on the body.

So, off I go again....... :'( :( :S

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
Oh crikey, I'd have given up!!  Hope it goes well from now on!

Catllar

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 14:11:48 PM »
Looks very pretty but I can imagine it being a bitch to keep track of!
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

b15erk

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 14:22:34 PM »
It is Cat, and it's not very clearly written either.

I've taken it back to the neckline, only to find that I could have got away with a lot less.  :(  Still it's done now, and I know what went wrong, so hopefully, I won't make the same mistake again....

I wanted to do the cardi as well, but after this stress, it might be a no-no.

Oh well, onwards and upwards.....

Jessie

Ploshkin

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 15:06:37 PM »
It is a lovely pattern Jessie.  The one I did with just the lacy bit on the raglans is so comfortable to wear.  If you can persevere the reward comes at the end when there is no sewing up to do!
Do you use stitch markers?
It sounds a bit daft but I have only just realised that you can put them on the needle to mark where something needs to happen - I've only ever used markers in actual stitches before.  I've just used them to mark the position of a holey panel up the front of a sweater that I'm knitting in the round (bottom up).
By the way - I have done pretty much the same as you.  I've ended up with the number of stitches for the back from the wrong size but I'm just going with it.  I might have a jiggle with the decreases on the raglan.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 15:53:17 PM »
Plosh, it's good to know that someone else has problems too! (Not that I wish them on you!)

Yes, I use stitch markers to separate the parts, and also when things get complicated.  My problems began with the yarn overs, I didn't notice anything wrong because the stitch count was right, problem was, they were in the wrong place!  ><

After I sorted that out, I had to separate for the sleeves and realised that the body stitch count was massively out.  It will already be on the large side, but if I'd left it, it would have been massive.

Knowing what I know now, I could have left more rows on the needles, but, it's done now, so just got to get on with it.  :S

It should only take a week or 3....... :S

Jessie

Mama likes to make

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 18:32:50 PM »
I've never gotten on with drops patterns so I'm no help at all but just wanted to offer my sympathies.

I have made this one with sleeve detail and am very happy with the finished item (must get it out for the winter!)

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/dusty-road
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

b15erk

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 18:38:33 PM »
Love that one! Will look again tomorrow... Not that I would download a copy or anything .... ;)

Jessie

b15erk

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 08:56:19 AM »
Back on track with this now.  I changed my needle size down to a 9 instead of an 8 and the tension seems a bit better too.

I've found that with my new KnitPro needles, I tend to knit a bit looser.  Hopefully it doesn't come up too small now!

I'm using the cotton yarn from Marriner, recommended by my friend.  It's an excellent quality, and very good value (cheap!)

I've also bought some 'cotton feel' yarn from them for the next project, and it feels lovely.  I can't wear wool, so, cotton or acrylic is what I knit with.

The plan is, the when I've finished this sweater, I'll make the cardigan (which is the same pattern) while it's fresh in my mind.

Jessie

Deafoldbat

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 18:38:50 PM »
https://blog.loveknitting.com/7-stages-of-knitting/?blog_page=/

You may have seen this already. If not, you will identify with some of it. Hope you've got the pattern firmly under control now.

b15erk

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 18:55:26 PM »

Ploshkin

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 19:42:44 PM »
I've resolved to get out my knitting again tonight.  It hasn't seen daylight since I tidied it away into the bag I made for it - just happens that there was something awry with the number of stitches I had I kept on a stitch holder for the back.
Life's too short for ironing.

b15erk

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 09:07:34 AM »
Mine is going OK (fingers crossed!), but a tad slower, as I'm checking the pattern and the stitch count a bit more.  It looks better with the smaller needles actually, I just hope it fits!

My stitch count went awry because of the way the pattern is written.  The Drops patterns are not like anything I've ever knit before, and you have to do a lot of work before getting yarn onto the needles! I could do with a few more hours in the day though...

Look forward to seeing yours Plosh.

Jessie