The Sewing Place

And another one from last week

Mocarroll

And another one from last week
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:24:08 PM »
My favourite t-shirt pattern, sadly out of print. I’ve made many of these, usually short sleeved and with different necklines.  The pattern has a facing but I usually do a bound neckline. 
I have come to the conclusion that Burda make their patterns for monkeys as I usually have to shorten the arms by at least 4inches! (Same with last post).
Fabric was bought at Ally Pally from Rosenberg, one of my favourite places.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Burda-Craft-Sewing-Pattern-3197/dp/B00BTK2RXS

Sewbee

Re: And another one from last week
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 12:26:50 PM »
Very nice indeed! I like the solid colour bound neckline. Did you do it with a coverstitch or on the sewing machine?

Holly Berry

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 14:15:36 PM »
Great Tshirt. Love the fabric, I get most of my fabric from Rosenberg’s too.
Procrastination get behind me

Sewbee

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 14:24:48 PM »
I am learning about the different places to buy fabric from everyone's posts so thanks for mentioning Rosenberg. I just visited their site. They have some very reasonably priced fabrics and ever so pretty!

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 16:28:52 PM »
Have you seen this thread?

It was finding that thread by googling that introduced me to this forum.   :)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Mocarroll

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 16:57:07 PM »
Thanks Acorn, some of these are new to me.
Sewbee, I bought a Janome coverstitch machine a couple of months ago but I have yet to fall in love with it. I use it for hems on knit fabrics and I am improving with fewer skipped stitches but I haven’t mastered curves very well yet.  It was the same when I bought my overlocker. More of a slow burn than an instant love affair. I’ve managed to tame it now, I think. So, with the neckline I attached the band on my sewing machine, then overlooked the raw edges, then back to the sewing machine for top stitching

Sewbee

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 17:04:48 PM »
Have you seen this thread?

It was finding that thread by googling that introduced me to this forum.   :)

No, I hadn't seen it but thanks so much for posting the link! I have a note of a few laces people have mentioned but that list is amazing!!

Thanks again!

Sewbee

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 17:09:21 PM »
Thanks Acorn, some of these are new to me.
Sewbee, I bought a Janome coverstitch machine a couple of months ago but I have yet to fall in love with it. I use it for hems on knit fabrics and I am improving with fewer skipped stitches but I haven’t mastered curves very well yet.  It was the same when I bought my overlocker. More of a slow burn than an instant love affair. I’ve managed to tame it now, I think. So, with the neckline I attached the band on my sewing machine, then overlooked the raw edges, then back to the sewing machine for top stitching

Thanks for letting me know how you did it. That's how I do them, too, but for me it's a toss-up as to whether the neckline ends up the same width all the way around. I'll probably eventually get a coverstitch machine but I have to get an overlocker first and perhaps a travel machine. Still not sure if it's worth getting a cover machine, though. I think I'd only use it for bound necklines and the double row of stitches on hems. Maybe a basic one. I used to own one but never used it. When I got my first overlocker, there was definitely a learning curve and I'm sure it's the same with a coverstitch machine.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 17:10:52 PM by Sewbee »

maliw

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 17:17:25 PM »
Lovely t-shirt, I've never bought fabric from Rosenbergs, must have a look at their site. Or maybe not as I've got loads of fabric - there might just be an 'oops' moment if I do. I've got that pattern and have made quite a few tops, it's great and really easy.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

toileandtrouble

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 17:30:51 PM »
I have bought fabric from Rosenbergs at the NEC. Didn't realise they had a website, thanks.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Sewbee

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 18:49:03 PM »
I have bought fabric from Rosenbergs at the NEC. Didn't realise they had a website, thanks.

The website is not listed by their name. Here it is:

http://stitchfabrics.co.uk